2.6.0 from 10-November lacking refactor?

12

Re: Support for JDT Core 3.6.3?

Andrew Eisenberg
> In the meantime I tries some more installations. If I install the Rational product in a version that does not include the JDT feature patch from Rational yet I can install the Groovy eclipse plugin without problems. When I then update the product to a newer fixpack level that will include the JDT feature patch the installation works. Groovy still works but I'm not sure if the JDT feature patch that comes along with groovy is in use.
> The problem begins when I then try to install anything using p2. I always geht an error about an invalid configuration. From that point on I cannot install or uninstall anything more. So this is not the way to go.

This looks like a p2 bug. It sounds like you can easily reproduce
this.  I am sure that the p2 team would appreciate it if you could
raise a bug and describe how to reproduce. (But perhaps it is already
fixed in the 3.7/3.8 branch.)

Also, if you are able to compile groovy projects, then the
Groovy-Eclipse feature patch is working.  It may be that the 3.6.3
patch is not in use.

> You mentioned that you are unsure if it is possible to patch a feature patch with yet another feature patch? I couldn't find any information about this. Do you have some further information on this? I Don't know if it would help with the invalid configuration but at least I could try to install the product in its most current version, then install the groovy plugin and see what happens. Maybe I could then uninstall the feature patch from groovy before upgrading the product.

I have no information on this.  Feature patches are not in common use
(and that is one reason why we thought it would be safe to go with a
feature patch for Groovy-Eclipse).  This question would best be asked
on the p2-dev mailing list (or the eclipse forums).

Wish I had some better answers for you.

RE: Support for JDT Core 3.6.3?

Thomas Hofmann
Hi,

The JDT feature patch apparently fixes 3 backported issues:

JDT Patch (bugzillas 336934,341131,342073) 1.0.2 org.eclipse.jdt.R362patch.feature.group

I guess I could live without them.

> In the meantime I tries some more installations. If I install the Rational product in a version that does not include the JDT feature patch from Rational yet I can install the Groovy eclipse plugin without problems. When I then update the product to a newer fixpack level that will include the JDT feature patch the installation works. Groovy still works but I'm not sure if the JDT feature patch that comes along with groovy is in use.
> The problem begins when I then try to install anything using p2. I always geht an error about an invalid configuration. From that point on I cannot install or uninstall anything more. So this is not the way to go.

This looks like a p2 bug. It sounds like you can easily reproduce this.  I am sure that the p2 team would appreciate it if you could raise a bug and describe how to reproduce. (But perhaps it is already fixed in the 3.7/3.8 branch.)

Also, if you are able to compile groovy projects, then the Groovy-Eclipse feature patch is working.  It may be that the 3.6.3 patch is not in use.

> You mentioned that you are unsure if it is possible to patch a feature patch with yet another feature patch? I couldn't find any information about this. Do you have some further information on this? I Don't know if it would help with the invalid configuration but at least I could try to install the product in its most current version, then install the groovy plugin and see what happens. Maybe I could then uninstall the feature patch from groovy before upgrading the product.

I have no information on this.  Feature patches are not in common use (and that is one reason why we thought it would be safe to go with a feature patch for Groovy-Eclipse).  This question would best be asked on the p2-dev mailing list (or the eclipse forums).

Wish I had some better answers for you.

Re: Support for JDT Core 3.6.3?

Andrew Eisenberg
Thanks for getting back to us on this.  So, what is your current
status now?  Is everything working?

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 2:24 AM, Thomas Hofmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The JDT feature patch apparently fixes 3 backported issues:
>
> JDT Patch (bugzillas 336934,341131,342073)      1.0.2   org.eclipse.jdt.R362patch.feature.group
>
> I guess I could live without them.

Currently I am trying to patch several files in order to remove the JDT feature patch that comes with the product so that I can install the one from Groovy Eclipse. As it seems this is not trivial. I will come back with more infos as soon as I have them.