[ANN] New Groovy Debug support in STS 2.5.1

[ANN] New Groovy Debug support in STS 2.5.1

The recently released STS 2.5.1 contains some vastly improved debug support for groovy applications.  There are 2 noteworthy features:

1. Better step filtering.  When groovy applications are run, it is now possible to 'step in' groovy methods and closures, bypassing all non-user stack frames from the MOP.  Step filtering must be enabled inside of your Preferences -> Java -> Debug -> Step Filtering page.

2. Display and expressions view support for groovy stack frames.  When the debugged application is stopped on a groovy stack frame, it is now possible to use groovy syntax with full access to dynamically added members and static references.  In the display view, it is possible to get and set properties and local variables, print to stdout, use for and while loops, etc.  The support here is similar to JDT's support for evaluation of Java code.

A few caveats:

a. It is not possible to define a closure in the display or expressions view
b. This is a new feature and we have already fixed a few bugs since the 2.5.1 release.  If you are trying this out and come across something that you don't feel is correct, please update to the latest nightly snapshot of Grails tooling and try again.  Update site is here:
c. This feature relies on JDT weaving being enabled, which should be the case by default for new installs of STS 2.5.1.  For upgrades from earlier versions of STS, you may need to manually enable JDT Weaving (See Preferences -> JDT Weaving)

thanks,
--Andrew

Re: [ANN] New Groovy Debug support in STS 2.5.1

Val Huber
Hi, Andy…

Very interested in these debugger features - is there a version apart from STS, or will the link below work?

Thanks,
Val

On Nov 15, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:

Hi all,

[...]

--Andrew

Re: [ANN] New Groovy Debug support in STS 2.5.1

Andrew Eisenberg
Yes, the link will still work.  Here is a more direct link to the download page:

http://www.springsource.com/landing/best-development-tool-enterprise-java

I have fixed a few bugs since the 2.5.1 release and if you see any
strange behavior, then I'd recommend updating to the latest nightly
build of the groovy and grails tooling, available here (or I might
recommend that you go straight there rather than install from the
extensions page):

 http://dist.springsource.com/snapshot/TOOLS/nightly/e3.6

Not much else has changed since the 2.5.1 release, so this should be
fairly stable.

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Val Huber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Andy…
> Very interested in these debugger features - is there a version apart from
> STS, or will the link below work?
> Thanks,
> Val
> On Nov 15, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> The recently released STS 2.5.1 contains some vastly improved debug support
> for groovy applications.  There are 2 noteworthy features:
> 1. Better step filtering.  When groovy applications are run, it is now
> possible to 'step in' groovy methods and closures, bypassing all non-user
> stack frames from the MOP.  Step filtering must be enabled inside of your
> Preferences -> Java -> Debug -> Step Filtering page.
> 2. Display and expressions view support for groovy stack frames.  When the
> debugged application is stopped on a groovy stack frame, it is now possible
> to use groovy syntax with full access to dynamically added members and
> static references.  In the display view, it is possible to get and set
> properties and local variables, print to stdout, use for and while loops,
> etc.  The support here is similar to JDT's support for evaluation of Java
> code.
> A few caveats:
> a. It is not possible to define a closure in the display or expressions view
> b. This is a new feature and we have already fixed a few bugs since the
> 2.5.1 release.  If you are trying this out and come across something that
> you don't feel is correct, please update to the latest nightly snapshot of
> Grails tooling and try again.  Update site is here:
>  http://dist.springsource.com/snapshot/TOOLS/nightly/e3.6
> c. This feature relies on JDT weaving being enabled, which should be the
> case by default for new installs of STS 2.5.1.  For upgrades from earlier
> versions of STS, you may need to manually enable JDT Weaving (See
> Preferences -> JDT Weaving)
> Please try this out and send feedback to
> the [hidden email] mailing list or on the STS
> forum: http://forum.springsource.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32
> thanks,
> --Andrew

Re: [ANN] New Groovy Debug support in STS 2.5.1

Val Huber
Thanks, Andrew… but I am not using SpringTools - is there a version I can get of *just* Groovy?  When I select that option, it will not install…

Thanks,
Val

On Nov 21, 2010, at 2:31 PM, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:

> Yes, the link will still work.  Here is a more direct link to the download page:
>
> http://www.springsource.com/landing/best-development-tool-enterprise-java
>
> I have fixed a few bugs since the 2.5.1 release and if you see any
> strange behavior, then I'd recommend updating to the latest nightly
> build of the groovy and grails tooling, available here (or I might
> recommend that you go straight there rather than install from the
> extensions page):
>
> http://dist.springsource.com/snapshot/TOOLS/nightly/e3.6
>
> Not much else has changed since the 2.5.1 release, so this should be
> fairly stable.
>
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Val Huber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, Andy…
>> Very interested in these debugger features - is there a version apart from
>> STS, or will the link below work?
>> Thanks,
>> Val
>> On Nov 15, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> The recently released STS 2.5.1 contains some vastly improved debug support
>> for groovy applications.  There are 2 noteworthy features:
>> 1. Better step filtering.  When groovy applications are run, it is now
>> possible to 'step in' groovy methods and closures, bypassing all non-user
>> stack frames from the MOP.  Step filtering must be enabled inside of your
>> Preferences -> Java -> Debug -> Step Filtering page.
>> 2. Display and expressions view support for groovy stack frames.  When the
>> debugged application is stopped on a groovy stack frame, it is now possible
>> to use groovy syntax with full access to dynamically added members and
>> static references.  In the display view, it is possible to get and set
>> properties and local variables, print to stdout, use for and while loops,
>> etc.  The support here is similar to JDT's support for evaluation of Java
>> code.
>> A few caveats:
>> a. It is not possible to define a closure in the display or expressions view
>> b. This is a new feature and we have already fixed a few bugs since the
>> 2.5.1 release.  If you are trying this out and come across something that
>> you don't feel is correct, please update to the latest nightly snapshot of
>> Grails tooling and try again.  Update site is here:
>>  http://dist.springsource.com/snapshot/TOOLS/nightly/e3.6
>> c. This feature relies on JDT weaving being enabled, which should be the
>> case by default for new installs of STS 2.5.1.  For upgrades from earlier
>> versions of STS, you may need to manually enable JDT Weaving (See
>> Preferences -> JDT Weaving)
>> Please try this out and send feedback to
>> the [hidden email] mailing list or on the STS
>> forum: http://forum.springsource.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32
>> thanks,
>> --Andrew

Re: [ANN] New Groovy Debug support in STS 2.5.1

Andrew Eisenberg
Short answer:

You can only install the debug support inside of STS.

Longer answer:

When we first started the work on the debug support we had to make a
choice as to how the new feature would hook into existing Java
Development Tooling (JDT) functionality.  We could have gone with two
Equinox Weaving (AspectJ on the Eclipse platform).  Our experience
with both kinds of plugins shows that each has benefits in different
situations.

Feature patches are good when you need to make many small changes to
the underlying Eclipse plugins that are wide-spread, but not easy to
capture using the AspectJ pointcut language.  However, feature patches
are more difficult to maintain (a new one needs to be released for
each point release), and difficult to install (peruse this mailing
list and you will see that >50% of the posts are regarding install or
upgrades).  Using weaving largely avoids these problems.

Because of the kinds of changes we need to make to the JDT debug
facilities, and because of the ease of maintenance and
install/upgrade, we decided that weaving was the better option.  The
consequence of this decision is that the feature had to be released
with STS (since weaving is not (yet) compatible with Groovy-Eclipse).
In the future, we may release the debug support with Groovy-Eclipse,
but it would not be a small change and there might be significant
maintenance consequences for us and install consequences for you.  So,
more thought would need to go into this.

--andrew

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Val Huber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> b. This is a new feature and we have already fixed a few bugs since the
>>> 2.5.1 release.  If you are trying this out and come across something that
>>> you don't feel is correct, please update to the latest nightly snapshot of
>>> Grails tooling and try again.  Update site is here:
>>>  http://dist.springsource.com/snapshot/TOOLS/nightly/e3.6
>>> c. This feature relies on JDT weaving being enabled, which should be the
>>> case by default for new installs of STS 2.5.1.  For upgrades from earlier
>>> versions of STS, you may need to manually enable JDT Weaving (See
>>> Preferences -> JDT Weaving)
>>> Please try this out and send feedback to
>>> the [hidden email] mailing list or on the STS
>>> forum: http://forum.springsource.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32
>>> thanks,
>>> --Andrew

Re: [ANN] New Groovy Debug support in STS 2.5.1

Two questions:
  1. I am running Eclipse Helios with Hibernate & Subversive SVN - are you confident installing STS will not affect that, or make it slower?
  2. Is there any timeline in the Groovy-Eclipse debug enhancements?

Thanks,
Val

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Val Huber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks!
> Two questions:
>
> I am running Eclipse Helios with Hibernate & Subversive SVN - are you
> confident installing STS will not affect that, or make it slower?

Subversive is definitely working with STS.  All of the STS developers
use it to work with subversion.  We do not explicitly test the
Hibernate tools, but I see no reason that you should have a problem.
As for performance, the first startup will be a little slower as the
Weaving service kicks in.  After that, all of the woven bundles are
cached, so you should not see any slowness on subsequent restarts.

> Is there any timeline in the Groovy-Eclipse debug enhancements?
No timeline yet.  You can raise a bug for this on jira and we will
track this work.  However, I can't guarantee that this issue is
something that we could resolve.

> [...]
>
> 2.5.1 release.  If you are trying this out and come across something that
>
> you don't feel is correct, please update to the latest nightly snapshot of
>
> Grails tooling and try again.  Update site is here:
>
>  http://dist.springsource.com/snapshot/TOOLS/nightly/e3.6
>
> c. This feature relies on JDT weaving being enabled, which should be the
>
> case by default for new installs of STS 2.5.1.  For upgrades from earlier
>
> versions of STS, you may need to manually enable JDT Weaving (See
>
> Preferences -> JDT Weaving)
>
> Please try this out and send feedback to
>
> the [hidden email] mailing list or on the STS
>
> forum: http://forum.springsource.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32
>
> thanks,
>
> --Andrew

>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: [ANN] New Groovy Debug support in STS 2.5.1

STS installed fine, my project works well under it... And I *love* the debugger!

Thanks,
Val