Broken install in Juno

John Tangney
I just attempted to install into Juno using Eclipse Marketplace. After the restart, the "File --> New" menu does NOT contain the new items as described here: http://groovy.codehaus.org/Install+Groovy-Eclipse+Plugin

I created a .groovy file by hand and attempted to open with a Groovy editor – not listed.

I attempted to convert an existing Java project to a Groovy project, but the Configure menu does not include a Groovy option.

So I reverted and re-installed. Same thing.

What do I need to do to get a working Groovy-Eclipse?

TIA,
--johnt

Re: Broken install in Juno

Andrew Eisenberg
Looks like groovy-eclipse is not installing properly.

Is your Eclipse installation in C:\Program Files, or is your Eclipse
installation directory not writable by the current user?  Both of
these situations have been known to cause problems in the past.

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM, John Tangney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just attempted to install into Juno using Eclipse Marketplace. After the restart, the "File --> New" menu does NOT contain the new items as described here: http://groovy.codehaus.org/Install+Groovy-Eclipse+Plugin
>
> I created a .groovy file by hand and attempted to open with a Groovy editor – not listed.
>
> I attempted to convert an existing Java project to a Groovy project, but the Configure menu does not include a Groovy option.
>
> So I reverted and re-installed. Same thing.
>
> What do I need to do to get a working Groovy-Eclipse?
>
> TIA,
> --johnt

Re: Broken install in Juno

John Tangney
Thanks for your response.

My Eclipse is in /Applications/eclipse (Standard install location on Mac OS X 10.7.5) and the features and plugins directories are user writable. I have installed many other plugins and features without incident.

I see a whole log of "org.codehaus.groovy*" items in each of those locations.

Could it be that there is some incompatibility between Groovy-Eclipse and something else I have installed?

While I do see some weird exceptions in the Eclipse log, there are no occurrences of "[Gg]roovy" or "codehaus".

--johnt

--
John Tangney
Sr. Software Engineer, Ground Systems

Skybox Imaging, Inc.
1061 Terra Bella
Mountain View CA 94043

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This message and any attachments are solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, use or distribution of the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and immediately delete this message and any attachments. In the event this document(s) contains technical data within the definition of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, it is subject to the export control laws of the U.S. Government. Transfer of this data by any means to a foreign person, whether in the United States or abroad, without an export license or other approval from the U.S. Department of State, is prohibited.

Re: Broken install in Juno

John Tangney
Solved!

You permissions hint led me to my eclipse.ini which was read-only.

Strangely, the installation did not modify eclipse.ini but it did change the last-modified timestamp. My guess is that making that file read-only prevented installation from proceeding.

FWIW, that file had been made read-only to work around an Eclipse bug that causes it to be deleted when installing updates.

Anyway, thanks for your help!
--johnt

On Nov 18, 2012, at 3:01 PM, John Tangney wrote:

[...]

The problem that you are getting is that Groovy-Eclipse requires
patching the JDT compiler.  And to do that, it must overwrite some
files in the eclipse installation directory.  Most other plugins can
be installed even with a read-only directory, but groovy-eclipse is
different because of the patch.  I thought that this problem was
solved with the juno release, and perhaps it is in the most common
case (where the entire install is read-only), but yours seems to be a
special case where only the eclipse.ini file was read-only.

Glad you were able to install.