Call Hierarchy problem in mixed groovy/java project

Call Hierarchy problem in mixed groovy/java project

mikemil
Hi,

I am trying to start injecting Groovy into our large Java project and ran into a problem that contributed to breaking our build because folks relied on Call Hierarchy to find references.

We are using Groovy 1.8.9 with Java 1.5.    I created some new Groovy classes to handle the parsing of XML that we get back from an external service.  Actually the class is a Groovy class with a couple static methods to handle that parsing.   Within those methods, we create some of our POJOs.

The other day, someone changed one of the constructors from taking a string parameter to an int.   When having Eclipse run the Call Hierarchy search,  the Groovy class is not listed as a caller to the POJO constructor, so  the developer missed several places to adjust the constructors.

Is this broken or a side-effect of mixing the languages?   One of my concerns is that folks use this as yet another excuse why NOT to use Groovy and stick with strictly Java.

Re: Call Hierarchy problem in mixed groovy/java project

Andrew Eisenberg
It's likely that this is likely a side-effect of method/constructor
overloading.  Groovy-Eclipse has some trouble locating which variant
of a method declaration a particular call is referring to.  An example
would help, though. And when you do a Java search, do you find all the
references? Ie- is this a problem just with the call hierarchy, or
with search too?

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to start injecting Groovy into our large Java project and ran
> into a problem that contributed to breaking our build because folks relied
> on Call Hierarchy to find references.
>
> We are using Groovy 1.8.9 with Java 1.5.    I created some new Groovy
> classes to handle the parsing of XML that we get back from an external
> service.  Actually the class is a Groovy class with a couple static methods
> to handle that parsing.   Within those methods, we create some of our POJOs.
>
> The other day, someone changed one of the constructors from taking a string
> parameter to an int.   When having Eclipse run the Call Hierarchy search,
> the Groovy class is not listed as a caller to the POJO constructor, so  the
> developer missed several places to adjust the constructors.
>
> Is this broken or a side-effect of mixing the languages?   One of my
> concerns is that folks use this as yet another excuse why NOT to use Groovy
> and stick with strictly Java.

RE: Call Hierarchy problem in mixed groovy/java project

mikemil
Example,
We have a POJO called RewardOffer which used to take a String parameter for the constructor.   Within our java project, we received XML back from a remote service.  The java code calls MemberOfferSlurper.slurp(xml), which is a Groovy class with a static method named slurp() that takes a string and returns one of our POJOs.   While slurping the XML, we create a RewardOffer object that resides within the POJO that ultimately gets returned from our slurp() method.

Previously, the RewardOffer took a string parameter, but was changed to an int parameters.  The person who made the change ran a full build and no errors.  I believe what they did was select the RewardOffer constructor within Eclipse and Ctrl+Alt+H for Call Hierarchy and did not get the MemberOfferSlurper so they didn't change those entries.

If I open the RewardOffer class and select the constructor and press Ctrl+H for Search - I don't see references to the entries in MemberOffersSlurper groovy class either.

> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:06:44 -0700

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [groovy-eclipse-plugin-user] Call Hierarchy problem in mixed groovy/java project
>
> It's likely that this is likely a side-effect of method/constructor
> overloading. Groovy-Eclipse has some trouble locating which variant
> of a method declaration a particular call is referring to. An example
> would help, though. And when you do a Java search, do you find all the
> references? Ie- is this a problem just with the call hierarchy, or
> with search too?
>
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to start injecting Groovy into our large Java project and ran
> > into a problem that contributed to breaking our build because folks relied
> > on Call Hierarchy to find references.
> >
> > We are using Groovy 1.8.9 with Java 1.5. I created some new Groovy
> > classes to handle the parsing of XML that we get back from an external
> > service. Actually the class is a Groovy class with a couple static methods
> > to handle that parsing. Within those methods, we create some of our POJOs.
> >
> > The other day, someone changed one of the constructors from taking a string
> > parameter to an int. When having Eclipse run the Call Hierarchy search,
> > the Groovy class is not listed as a caller to the POJO constructor, so the
> > developer missed several places to adjust the constructors.
> >
> > Is this broken or a side-effect of mixing the languages? One of my
> > concerns is that folks use this as yet another excuse why NOT to use Groovy
> > and stick with strictly Java.

Re: Call Hierarchy problem in mixed groovy/java project

Andrew Eisenberg-2
I should have been more specific. I was hoping for a code snippet. Can you attach te two files?  Or at least the relevant declaration and reference?

Sent while on the go.

RE: Call Hierarchy problem in mixed groovy/java project

mikemil
I have tried to reduce the amount of code - so I created a small Eclipse project with the files in it.

The SBRewardOffer class (pojo) used to have a String constructor parameter, but it was to changed to take an int as part of a change.   I left both constructors in the source.   I added a test class that uses the int version parameter so that you get a match on Ctrl-Alt-H for that constructor, but if you search or call hierarchy for the constructor that takes a String.  MemberOfferSlurper.groovy line 55 is using the String constructor but not found.

I have removed the groovy-all-1.8.9.jar from the zip because it caused the project and zip to be to large.  Hope this helps - let me know if you have any questions.

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 22:42:48 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [groovy-eclipse-plugin-user] Call Hierarchy problem in mixed groovy/java project

XEclipseCallHierarchy.zip (151K) Download Attachment

Re: Call Hierarchy problem in mixed groovy/java project

Andrew Eisenberg
Thanks.  I'll take a look.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > methods
>> > to handle that parsing. Within those methods, we create some of our
>> > POJOs.
>> >
>> > The other day, someone changed one of the constructors from taking a
>> > string
>> > parameter to an int. When having Eclipse run the Call Hierarchy search,
>> > the Groovy class is not listed as a caller to the POJO constructor, so
>> > the
>> > developer missed several places to adjust the constructors.
>> >
>> > Is this broken or a side-effect of mixing the languages? One of my
>> > concerns is that folks use this as yet another excuse why NOT to use
>> > Groovy
>> > and stick with strictly Java.

>> http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>>

> --
> Sent while on the go.

Re: Call Hierarchy problem in mixed groovy/java project

Raised a bug:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1647

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> groovy class either.
>>

>>> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:06:44 -0700
>>> From: [hidden email]
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Re: [groovy-eclipse-plugin-user] Call Hierarchy problem in mixed
>>> groovy/java project
>>>
>>> It's likely that this is likely a side-effect of method/constructor
>>> overloading. Groovy-Eclipse has some trouble locating which variant
>>> of a method declaration a particular call is referring to. An example
>>> would help, though. And when you do a Java search, do you find all the
>>> references? Ie- is this a problem just with the call hierarchy, or
>>> with search too?

>>> http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>>>

>> --
>> Sent while on the go.

RE: Call Hierarchy problem in mixed groovy/java project

Thanks for the quick response!