Changing highlighting statically indeterminate references

Changing highlighting statically indeterminate references

Danny Y
Hi, all.  Happy New Year!

Working on some Groovy code today, and trying to track down some references that the inferencing engine couldn't ... infer, I guess :)  I wanted to try and fix as many as made sense to fix, before finding them while running the code and getting a Missing property or method exception.

I got to wondering if it was possible to change the highlighting on these indeterminate references, to make them stand out more than the underline does.  I couldn't locate anything in the preferences that allowed me to change it to a colored background highlight or something else.

I think another nice feature would be the option to turn on annotations for these references, to make them easy to find and fix.

I'm not quite ready on this code to turn on @TypeChecked ... it's just too unclean at this point.  I think one or both of these features might be helpful.

Oh, I'm on Indigo SR2 ... and sadly have to stay there to use the Rational Clearcase Client for Clearcase 7.2  :-(

Thanks for reading!!

Danny Yarbrough, N9JDY
Plainfield, IL

Re: Changing highlighting statically indeterminate references

Andrew Eisenberg-2
Try selecting your project, right click, Groovy type checking -> Type
check. It will add warnings to all statically ambiguous expressions.
And the warnings can be removed through the same menu when you are
done with them.

Not sure if this feature is available in indigo, though...

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Danny Yarbrough
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, all.  Happy New Year!
>
> Working on some Groovy code today, and trying to track down some references
> that the inferencing engine couldn't ... infer, I guess :)  I wanted to try
> and fix as many as made sense to fix, before finding them while running the
> code and getting a Missing property or method exception.
>
> I got to wondering if it was possible to change the highlighting on these
> indeterminate references, to make them stand out more than the underline
> does.  I couldn't locate anything in the preferences that allowed me to
> change it to a colored background highlight or something else.
>
> I think another nice feature would be the option to turn on annotations for
> these references, to make them easy to find and fix.
>
> I'm not quite ready on this code to turn on @TypeChecked ... it's just too
> unclean at this point.  I think one or both of these features might be
> helpful.
>

> Oh, I'm on Indigo SR2 ... and sadly have to stay there to use the Rational
> Clearcase Client for Clearcase 7.2  :-(
>

> Thanks for reading!!
>

> --
> Danny Yarbrough, N9JDY
> Plainfield, IL

Re: Changing highlighting statically indeterminate references

Danny Y
Cool!  It is available in Indigo!  It annotates them, anyway. and that's a tremendous help.

Thanks so much, Andrew.  You made my day :)

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, all.  Happy New Year!
>
> Working on some Groovy code today, and trying to track down some references
> that the inferencing engine couldn't ... infer, I guess :)  I wanted to try
> and fix as many as made sense to fix, before finding them while running the
> code and getting a Missing property or method exception.
>
> I got to wondering if it was possible to change the highlighting on these
> indeterminate references, to make them stand out more than the underline
> does.  I couldn't locate anything in the preferences that allowed me to
> change it to a colored background highlight or something else.
>
> I think another nice feature would be the option to turn on annotations for
> these references, to make them easy to find and fix.
>
> I'm not quite ready on this code to turn on @TypeChecked ... it's just too
> unclean at this point.  I think one or both of these features might be
> helpful.
>

> Oh, I'm on Indigo SR2 ... and sadly have to stay there to use the Rational
> Clearcase Client for Clearcase 7.2  :-(
>

> Thanks for reading!!
>

> --
> Danny Yarbrough, N9JDY