Code Completion without DefaultGroovyMethods

Code Completion without DefaultGroovyMethods

Jayet, Patrick
Hi all,

I am wondering if it is possible to tune the Groovy editor, so that for certain custom types I have, I don't get the standard Groovy methods (defined in DefaultGroovyMethods) as part of the code completion.

I have looked at the 3rd extension point that you mention in your post [1] (completionProposalProvider), Andrew, but I am not sure how it can be used for that (that is remove proposals and not add new ones).

Any ideas?
Cheers,

Patrick

[1] http://contraptionsforprogramming.blogspot.com/2009/12/extending-groovy-eclipse-for-use-with.html

Re: Code Completion without DefaultGroovyMethods

Andrew Eisenberg
Hi Patrick,

There is currently no API to do this yet.  However, the latest
snapshot does something a little better than the previous release
does.  Groovy-Eclipse now does a much better job of sorting proposals.
 DGM methods are added close to the bottom of the proposal list.

Also, there is an open jira with a half-completed patch at
GRECLIPSE-595.  With the new mechanism for sorting proposals, the
currently proposed patch will not be able to hook into what is now
available, but it would still be possible to perform the filter.  I'd
have to think about how to allow third party filters to also
contribute to sorting.

--a

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Jayet, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to tune the Groovy editor, so that for certain custom types I have, I don't get the standard Groovy methods (defined in DefaultGroovyMethods) as part of the code completion.
>
> I have looked at the 3rd extension point that you mention in your post [1] (completionProposalProvider), Andrew, but I am not sure how it can be used for that (that is remove proposals and not add new ones).
>
> Any ideas?
> Cheers,
>
> Patrick
>
> [1] http://contraptionsforprogramming.blogspot.com/2009/12/extending-groovy-eclipse-for-use-with.html

AW: [groovy-eclipse-plugin-user] Code Completion without DefaultGroovyMethods

Jayet, Patrick
Hi Andrew,

> There is currently no API to do this yet.  However, the latest
snapshot does something a little better than the previous release
does.  Groovy-Eclipse now does a much better job of sorting proposals.
 DGM methods are added close to the bottom of the proposal list.

Looking forward to trying the next release. Yes, at the moment there are so many methods coming from the DefaultGroovyMethods, that we tend to oversea the non-default methods (which in some case are far more important than the default ones).

> Also, there is an open jira with a half-completed patch at
GRECLIPSE-595.

The extension point mechanism described in GRECLIPSE-595 would be awesome. Sorting and filtering the
proposals coming from code completion would be very nice when using Groovy Eclipse for a DSL. Looking forward to seeing a solution for this.

Cheers,
Patrick

Re: Code Completion without DefaultGroovyMethods

Andrew Eisenberg
The original author of the patch has not re-submitted the patch with
any of the required changes.  Since I have not heard from the original
author, I may be able to adapt the patch to something that is
workable.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Jayet, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
>> There is currently no API to do this yet.  However, the latest
> snapshot does something a little better than the previous release
> does.  Groovy-Eclipse now does a much better job of sorting proposals.
>  DGM methods are added close to the bottom of the proposal list.
>
> Looking forward to trying the next release. Yes, at the moment there are so many methods coming from the DefaultGroovyMethods, that we tend to oversea the non-default methods (which in some case are far more important than the default ones).
>
>> Also, there is an open jira with a half-completed patch at
> GRECLIPSE-595.
>
> The extension point mechanism described in GRECLIPSE-595 would be awesome. Sorting and filtering the
> proposals coming from code completion would be very nice when using Groovy Eclipse for a DSL. Looking forward to seeing a solution for this.
>
> Cheers,
> Patrick

RE: Code Completion without DefaultGroovyMethods

Maxime HAMM

That would be a nice feature for our DSL editors, thank you !

Speaking of improvements for DSL, can you add an extension point to allow
extending the outline view ?

Regards,
Maxime

The original author of the patch has not re-submitted the patch with
any of the required changes.  Since I have not heard from the original
author, I may be able to adapt the patch to something that is
workable.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Jayet, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
>> There is currently no API to do this yet.  However, the latest
> snapshot does something a little better than the previous release
> does.  Groovy-Eclipse now does a much better job of sorting proposals.
>  DGM methods are added close to the bottom of the proposal list.
>
> Looking forward to trying the next release. Yes, at the moment there are
so many methods coming from the DefaultGroovyMethods, that we tend to
oversea the non-default methods (which in some case are far more important
than the default ones).

>> Also, there is an open jira with a half-completed patch at
> GRECLIPSE-595.
>
> The extension point mechanism described in GRECLIPSE-595 would be awesome.
Sorting and filtering the
> proposals coming from code completion would be very nice when using Groovy
Eclipse for a DSL. Looking forward to seeing a solution for this.

> Cheers,
> Patrick

Re: Code Completion without DefaultGroovyMethods

Extending the outline view has been discussed before, specifically for
adding variable definitions to the outline view in scripts.  See
GRECLIPSE-626.

Unfortunately, this is not particularly easy since Groovy-Eclipse
borrows outline behavior from JDT without making any additions to it.
I'm sure it's possible, but it will not be an easy fix like the one
described for sorting and filtering of proposals.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Maxime HAMM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That would be a nice feature for our DSL editors, thank you !
>
> Speaking of improvements for DSL, can you add an extension point to allow
> extending the outline view ?
>
> Regards,
> Maxime

The latest snapshot build of Groovy-Eclipse now has the patch from
GRECLIPSE-595 included.  You can now define an IProposalFilter and
attach it to a particular project nature (or natures) via the
completionProposalFilter extension point.

The IProposalFilter allows you to augment the list of proposals
generated by the IProposalProviders.  You can remove proposals, change
their relevancy (ie- re-order them in the content assist pane), or add
more information to them.  See the javadocs on IProposalFiler.

Please let me know if this is what you are looking for.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Extending the outline view has been discussed before, specifically for
> adding variable definitions to the outline view in scripts.  See
> GRECLIPSE-626.
>
> Unfortunately, this is not particularly easy since Groovy-Eclipse
> borrows outline behavior from JDT without making any additions to it.
> I'm sure it's possible, but it will not be an easy fix like the one
> described for sorting and filtering of proposals.
>
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Maxime HAMM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That would be a nice feature for our DSL editors, thank you !
>>
>> Speaking of improvements for DSL, can you add an extension point to allow
>> extending the outline view ?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Maxime

Thank you for this fast answer.

You did not publish a new snapshot are you ?
I see that you made the update on trunk... how am I suppose to test ? should
I check out groovy eclipse sources and add dependencies to my plugin project
?

Regards,
maxime

wrote:

>> That would be a nice feature for our DSL editors, thank you !
>>
>> Speaking of improvements for DSL, can you add an extension point to allow
>> extending the outline view ?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Maxime

The latest snapshot is available from this update site:

http://dist.codehaus.org/groovy/distributions/greclipse/snapshot/e3.6/

You can install from the update site.  Make sure to include the source
feature in your install.  There shouldn't be any direct need to check
out the source code.  However, if you find that the API provided is
not sufficient, you may want to check the source code out so that you
can submit a patch of updated API.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Maxime HAMM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> Thank you for this fast answer.
>
> You did not publish a new snapshot are you ?
> I see that you made the update on trunk... how am I suppose to test ? should
> I check out groovy eclipse sources and add dependencies to my plugin project
> ?
>
> Regards,
> maxime

OK
Is this version only compatible with Helios or also with Galileo ?
Would you merge this feature to branch 3.5 (after I will have test this for
Jspresso) ?

This will be important for me, I need to know If I will need to inform
Jspresso SJSPLug users to switch to this update site...
Thank you Andrew, I will make tests as soon as possible...

Maxime

wrote:

> Hi
> Thank you for this fast answer.
>
> You did not publish a new snapshot are you ?
> I see that you made the update on trunk... how am I suppose to test ?
should
> I check out groovy eclipse sources and add dependencies to my plugin
project

> ?
>
> Regards,
> maxime

Currently, this is only available on Helios.  I will try to do a merge
with 3.5 later this week.  I'll let you know when the new version is
available.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Maxime HAMM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK
> Is this version only compatible with Helios or also with Galileo ?
> Would you merge this feature to branch 3.5 (after I will have test this for
> Jspresso) ?
>
> This will be important for me, I need to know If I will need to inform
> Jspresso SJSPLug users to switch to this update site...
> Thank you Andrew, I will make tests as soon as possible...
>
> Maxime

Yes ! It works fine for filtering groovy proposals !

Here are some suggestions :
- What about removing Java proposals !
- For more complex filtering, it could be necessary to get the
ContentAssistContext that was used for IProposalProvider...

For my use it is still a great step forward
Please merge this to 3.5 version

Regards
Maxime

wrote:

> are
>> important

>> awesome.
>> Groovy

Re: Code Completion without DefaultGroovyMethods

I could change the API to include the ContentAssistContext.

As for filtering Java proposals, that should be something contributed
by an IProposalFilter.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Maxime HAMM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes ! It works fine for filtering groovy proposals !
>
> Here are some suggestions :
> - What about removing Java proposals !
> - For more complex filtering, it could be necessary to get the
> ContentAssistContext that was used for IProposalProvider...
>
> For my use it is still a great step forward
> Please merge this to 3.5 version
>
> Regards
> Maxime

Great for the fix (could not try it out yet though).

For me, a merge to 3.5 would also be important, since we still use a 3.5.X target platform.

Cheers,
Patrick

Re: Code Completion without DefaultGroovyMethods

Andrew Eisenberg
I made a few more changes to the extension point.  Now, you can
optionally provide a name and description in the xml.  This doesn't do
anything yet, but I am considering creating a preferences page where
users can toggle these filters on and off.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 2:37 AM, Jayet, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Great for the fix (could not try it out yet though).
>
> For me, a merge to 3.5 would also be important, since we still use a 3.5.X target platform.
>
> Cheers,
> Patrick

AW: [groovy-eclipse-plugin-user] Code Completion without DefaultGroovyMethods

Jayet, Patrick
Hi Andrew,

I tried the last development build of Groovy Eclipse on Helios. That's cool to have this new extension point where we get the proposal list. I had a question about that regarding filtering out the methods from DefaultGroovyMethods.

Within the method filterProposals, I have got the list of IGroovyProposal 'proposals'. If a proposal is a GroovyMethodProposal, I have access to the MethodNode (the only getter I have). There I can use 'getDeclaringClass()' where I see if a given method was defined on Object (e.g. notify) or on my custom class Foo. Although here I cannot do the difference regarding the default methods and my custom methods on Foo, they both appear to be declared on Foo (declaring class is a ClassNode about Foo). I have not found yet how to filter out the DefaultGroovyMethods.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Patrick

Re: Code Completion without DefaultGroovyMethods

Andrew Eisenberg
All Category methods (and DefaultGroovyMethods are considered category
methods) appear in the proposals list as GroovyCategoryMethodProposal.
 If you call "getMethod()" on these methods, then you will see the
declaring class as "DefaultGroovyMethods".

Is this not what you are seeing?

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Jayet, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I tried the last development build of Groovy Eclipse on Helios. That's cool to have this new extension point where we get the proposal list. I had a question about that regarding filtering out the methods from DefaultGroovyMethods.
>
> Within the method filterProposals, I have got the list of IGroovyProposal 'proposals'. If a proposal is a GroovyMethodProposal, I have access to the MethodNode (the only getter I have). There I can use 'getDeclaringClass()' where I see if a given method was defined on Object (e.g. notify) or on my custom class Foo. Although here I cannot do the difference regarding the default methods and my custom methods on Foo, they both appear to be declared on Foo (declaring class is a ClassNode about Foo). I have not found yet how to filter out the DefaultGroovyMethods.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Cheers,
>
> Patrick

AW: [groovy-eclipse-plugin-user] Code Completion without DefaultGroovyMethods

Jayet, Patrick
Hi Andrew,

Actually you are right. We can use the declaring class to see where methods have been defined. I thought that it was not the case, because some methods (setProperty, getProperty, getMetaclass, setMetaclass and invokeMethod) have as declaring class the actual class (Foo). But this is not a problem, I can identify these methods individually. The other standard Groovy methods have a declaring class of DefaultGroovyMethods or DefaultStaticGroovyMethods (then of course, we have a couple of methods from Object).

So this is all good. Great new feature of Groovy Eclipse!

I am also voting for the preference page settings to activate/de-activate individual filters. This would be a great way to allow power user of a DSL to see more proposals than standard users, just by switching off filters in the preferences.

Cheers,
Patrick

Re: Code Completion without DefaultGroovyMethods

Andrew Eisenberg
> I am also voting for the preference page settings to activate/de-activate individual filters. This would be a great way to allow power user of a DSL to see more proposals than standard users, just by switching off filters in the preferences.

I plan on doing this.  I don't think there is a jira open for it,
though.  Each filter and proposal provider is supposed to be attached
to one or more project natures.  So adding and removing natures is a
different way of controlling the enablement of filters and providers.