Compilation problems in mixed groovy/java project (GRECLIPSE-429 ?)

Compilation problems in mixed groovy/java project (GRECLIPSE-429 ?)

Adam Lister
Hi - new to the mailing list.  I saw a recent post from Stephen Joyner,
regarding some issues with greclipse compilation.  I seem to also be
experiencing this (and possibly this is something that was happening for
GRECLIPSE-429 ?)  At the bottom of this message is an example of a stack
that I get in the eclipse error log when compiling.  I get many of these
each time I compile, and it slows the compile down significantly.  Also,
it will cause the incremental builder to rebuild the whole project, as
Stephen described.  Sometimes I can tiptoe around them by excluding
certain things or making certain files into java files instead of
groovy, but lately I am experiencing them more frequently.

I am working on a pretty large project (2000+ source files) that
contains both java and groovy (not a grails project).  I've tried to get
this error to happen with a subset of my project so that I can create an
example project to reproduce the error, but have had no luck with this
so far since the project is so large and there is a lot of tight
coupling between classes.  I am on the snapshot version of greclipse.
I've also tried the 1.8 compiler, no luck there.  I seem to be able to
reproduce this issue pretty consistently, so I would like to help with
that.  You had mentioned opening another JIRA issue for this - if that's
been done I'm happy to put in my 2 cents there.  Anyhow, I'd just like
to offer my assistance in reproducing this, and if there's something
more I can do, such as setting up some extra logging/tracing, etc,
please let me know.  In the meantime I will continue to try to produce a
project to reproduce the issue.

-Adam Lister

eclipse.buildId=M20110210-1200
java.version=1.6.0_20
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product
Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64 -product
org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product

Error
Thu Apr 14 11:47:06 EDT 2011
Groovy bug when compiling.

BUG! exception in phase 'semantic analysis' in source unit
'/OBS/src/com/obs/channels/symconnect/client/SymConnectCommand.groovy'
Queuing new source whilst already iterating.  Queued source is
'/OBS/src/com/obs/channels/symconnect/RequestType.groovy'
     at
org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.addSource(CompilationUnit.java:409)
     at
org.codehaus.jdt.groovy.internal.compiler.ast.GroovyParser.dietParse(GroovyParser.java:417)
     at
org.codehaus.jdt.groovy.integration.internal.MultiplexingParser.dietParse(MultiplexingParser.java:44)
     at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.accept(Compiler.java:335)
     at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.LookupEnvironment.askForType(LookupEnvironment.java:140)
     at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.PackageBinding.getTypeOrPackage(PackageBinding.java:183)
     at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.Scope.getType(Scope.java:2415)
     at
org.codehaus.jdt.groovy.internal.compiler.ast.GroovyCompilationUnitScope.lookupClassNodeForSource(GroovyCompilationUnitScope.java:177)
     at
org.codehaus.jdt.groovy.internal.compiler.ast.JDTResolver.resolveFromCompileUnit(JDTResolver.java:167)
     at
org.codehaus.groovy.control.ResolveVisitor.resolve(ResolveVisitor.java:309)
     at
org.codehaus.jdt.groovy.internal.compiler.ast.JDTResolver.resolve(JDTResolver.java:292)
     at
org.codehaus.groovy.control.ResolveVisitor.visitClass(ResolveVisitor.java:1345)
     at
org.codehaus.groovy.control.ResolveVisitor.startResolving(ResolveVisitor.java:165)
     at
org.codehaus.jdt.groovy.internal.compiler.ast.JDTResolver.startResolving(JDTResolver.java:626)
     at
org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit$1.call(CompilationUnit.java:694)
     at
org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.applyToSourceUnits(CompilationUnit.java:955)
     at
org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.doPhaseOperation(CompilationUnit.java:588)
     at
org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.compile(CompilationUnit.java:537)
     at
org.codehaus.jdt.groovy.internal.compiler.ast.GroovyCompilationUnitDeclaration.processToPhase(GroovyCompilationUnitDeclaration.java:168)
     at
org.codehaus.jdt.groovy.internal.compiler.ast.GroovyCompilationUnitDeclaration.resolve(GroovyCompilationUnitDeclaration.java:1867)
     at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.process(Compiler.java:816)
     at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:517)
     at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.AbstractImageBuilder.compile(AbstractImageBuilder.java:408)
     at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.IncrementalImageBuilder.compile(IncrementalImageBuilder.java:322)
     at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.AbstractImageBuilder.compile(AbstractImageBuilder.java:372)
     at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.IncrementalImageBuilder.build(IncrementalImageBuilder.java:135)
     at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.JavaBuilder.buildDeltas(JavaBuilder.java:268)
     at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.JavaBuilder.build(JavaBuilder.java:196)
     at
org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$2.run(BuildManager.java:629)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
     at
org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:172)
     at
org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:203)
     at
org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:255)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
     at
org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:258)
     at
org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuildLoop(BuildManager.java:311)
     at
org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:343)
     at
org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.doBuild(AutoBuildJob.java:144)
     at
org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.run(AutoBuildJob.java:242)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

Re: Compilation problems in mixed groovy/java project (GRECLIPSE-429 ?)

Andy Clement
Hi Adam,

I just raised a new issue to track this:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1037

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated as I have never
seen it.  Obviously a failing minimal project would be the best thing,
or if you are able (perhaps privately) to share with me the larger
project that has the issue, that would be a way to investigate too.

In the meantime I'll think about the stack trace you've provided and
what further debug I could include to investigate further.

thanks,
Andy

On 14 April 2011 09:08, Adam Lister
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:255)
>    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
>    at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:258)
>    at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuildLoop(BuildManager.java:311)
>    at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:343)
>    at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.doBuild(AutoBuildJob.java:144)
>    at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.run(AutoBuildJob.java:242)
>    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

Re: Compilation problems in mixed groovy/java project (GRECLIPSE-429 ?)

Stephen Joyner
Is there any extra debugging or logging that we could turn on to help
us diagnose this problem?

I have tried to set up a minimal failing project and haven't had any
luck reproducing the issue.

Thanks,
Stephen

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Andy Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:255)
>>    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
>>    at
>> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:258)
>>    at
>> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuildLoop(BuildManager.java:311)
>>    at
>> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:343)
>>    at
>> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.doBuild(AutoBuildJob.java:144)
>>    at
>> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.run(AutoBuildJob.java:242)
>>    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

Re: Compilation problems in mixed groovy/java project (GRECLIPSE-429 ?)

Finishing off this thread: Marcel Wagner kindly managed to share some
source with me that showed the problem.  Now fixed, should be in a dev
build later today.

cheers
Andy

On 16 May 2011 08:51, Stephen Joyner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
>>>    at
>>> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:258)
>>>    at
>>> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuildLoop(BuildManager.java:311)
>>>    at
>>> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:343)
>>>    at
>>> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.doBuild(AutoBuildJob.java:144)
>>>    at
>>> org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.run(AutoBuildJob.java:242)
>>>    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

>>>   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Compilation problems in mixed groovy/java project (GRECLIPSE-429 ?)

Big thanks to you guys for getting this worked out. I wish I could say
it works for me, but some other problem is causing an
IllegalArgumentException before it ever gets to that phase. This
problem has just started occurring within the last 10 snapshots or so.
I'm trying to reproduce the error, but no luck so far. If I rip the
code out into a small project the problem goes away.

Here's a copy of the stack trace in case it helps

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jdt.core 4 4 2011-06-06 20:41:05.013
!MESSAGE Exception occurred during compilation unit conversion:
----------------------------------- SOURCE BEGIN
-------------------------------------
package com.fittingnotes

class TearPooling {

  List<FittingMeasurement> centralTearPoolingMeasurements
  List<FittingMeasurement> peripheralTearPoolingMeasurements

  static belongsTo = [lensFittingNotes: LensFittingNotes]
  static hasMany = [centralTearPoolingMeasurements:
FittingMeasurement, peripheralTearPoolingMeasurements:
FittingMeasurement]

  }

----------------------------------- SOURCE END
-------------------------------------
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.setSourceRange(ASTNode.java:2614)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTConverter.convertImport(ASTConverter.java:2898)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTConverter.convert(ASTConverter.java:1326)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.CompilationUnitResolver.resolve(CompilationUnitResolver.java:899)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.CompilationUnitResolver.resolve(CompilationUnitResolver.java:597)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTParser.createASTs(ASTParser.java:888)
        at com.google.gdt.eclipse.platform.jdt.internal.corext.dom.ASTBatchParser.createASTs(ASTBatchParser.java:113)
        at com.google.gwt.eclipse.core.validators.java.JavaCompilationParticipant.buildStarting(JavaCompilationParticipant.java:184)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.AbstractImageBuilder.notifyParticipants(AbstractImageBuilder.java:621)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.AbstractImageBuilder.compile(AbstractImageBuilder.java:331)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.BatchImageBuilder.build(BatchImageBuilder.java:61)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.JavaBuilder.buildAll(JavaBuilder.java:257)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.JavaBuilder.build(JavaBuilder.java:176)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$2.run(BuildManager.java:629)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:172)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:203)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:255)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:258)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:220)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:362)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project$1.run(Project.java:545)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:1975)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.internalBuild(Project.java:524)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.build(Project.java:115)
        at org.eclipse.ui.actions.BuildAction.invokeOperation(BuildAction.java:222)
        at org.eclipse.ui.actions.WorkspaceAction.execute(WorkspaceAction.java:162)
        at org.eclipse.ui.actions.WorkspaceAction$2.runInWorkspace(WorkspaceAction.java:483)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:38)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 4 2 2011-06-06 20:41:05.014
!MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in:
"org.eclipse.core.resources".
[...]

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.ide 4 4 2011-06-06 20:41:05.105
!MESSAGE Problems occurred building the selected resources.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jdt.core 4 75 2011-06-06 20:41:05.105
!MESSAGE Errors running builder 'Java Builder' on project 'SledgeHammer'.