Eclipse Groovy Plugin Hanging Eclipse on a regular basis

Eclipse Groovy Plugin Hanging Eclipse on a regular basis

Kirk Rasmussen

Hello,

I am currently experiencing a near show stopper issue with the Eclipse Groovy plugin with a large Groovy codebase (2K+ classes broken into multiple projects). The general symptom is after I do something that engages auto-complete or viewing javadoc (e.g. hit F2 when hovering on class) Eclipse “freezes”. It acts as if the UI thread has stopped processing events and I get the typical Windows  “no response” in the title bar with an opaque white screen. At this point Eclipse is dead in the water and I have to kill it.

My Eclipse JVM is configured to use JRockit ((1.6.0_26-b03)) and I was able to capture some interesting information with Mission Control. There are two threads that are endless looping on the following (each thread consuming 25% cpu):

   java.util.HashMap$HashIterator.hasNext line: 972

   java.util.HashMap.buildCache line: 589

   java.util.HashMap.resize line: 576

   java.util.HashMap.addEntry line: 939

   java.util.HashMap.put line: 477

   org.codehaus.jdt.groovy.internal.compiler.ast.JDTResolver.createJDTClassNode line: 361

Eclipse is still technically running but its unusable once it gets into this state --- it’s not responsive to keyboard or mouse input. I’ve paired my environment down to a single project and it still seems to happen although less frequently. Today Eclipse “crashed” on me 11 times. I’ve observed this same behavior with the groovy 2.5.2 plugin and the 2.6.0 daily builds.  The stack trace above is from 2.5.2. This is fairly easy for me to reproduce and I always see the exact same threads in the same endless looping behavior.

I’m running on the JRocket Windows 64-bit JVM with Eclipse (Version: 3.7.1 Build id: M20110909-1335). We are using a Pulse account to manage our shared Eclipse configuration in the office. For some reason I tend to crash more than other people in my software group albeit we don’t have the same hardware exactly. I’m running on an Intel Core Extreme CPU Q9300 @ 2.53GHz with 8GB of RAM.

Thanks for your help! Let me know if there is any other information that would help track this problem down.

Regards,

Kirk Rasmussen

Re: Eclipse Groovy Plugin Hanging Eclipse on a regular basis

Andrew Eisenberg
Hi Kirk,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier.  It seems that I am no longer receiving messages on this mailing list and I can't do much to figure out why since much of the codehaus infrastructure is going through upgrades right now.  So, I never received your email.  I only saw this email since I was alerted to another message coming through this list.

Anyway, are you still having this problem?  Have you given up?

It is likely that your problem comes from reconciling.  Reconciling is an operation that is like a mini-compile, but it is triggered through the UI during things like content assist and hovers.  The problem you are facing is likely some kind of missing dependency (which the groovy resolver doesn't handle too well), or simply a class that has many dependencies.

Is there any chance that you can share this project with me privately?  This would be the most certain way that we can try to address your problem.  Otherwise, simply sharing a few problem classes may be sufficient.

Re: Eclipse Groovy Plugin Hanging Eclipse on a regular basis

Andrew Eisenberg
I see that you raised http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1260.  Please get back to us and let us know if Andy's fix solves your problem.

Re: Eclipse Groovy Plugin Hanging Eclipse on a regular basis

Kirk Rasmussen
Thanks Andrew. I just updated the comments. Initial testing looks
positive. I will keep an eye on it.

get back to us and let us know if Andy's fix solves your problem.