Eclipse hang

John Bito
I'm not sure how to try and isolate this problem. Eclipse hung while I was editing a rather long JUnit test class (UserTest.groovy).  The last console output was:

org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@2ba7c334
/main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 876 Groovy:unexpected token: } @ line 876, column 1.
/main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 135 Groovy:expecting '(' or '[' after type name to continue new expression @ line 135, column 26.
/main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 135 Groovy:expecting '}', found ')' @ line 135, column 58.
org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@543a5106
/main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137 Groovy:unexpected token: } @ line 137, column 2.
org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@1652782d
/main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137 Groovy:unexpected token: } @ line 137, column 2.
org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@49fe4f8
/main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137 Groovy:unexpected token: } @ line 137, column 2.

I didn't find any related entries in the Eclipse log. If there's any guidance on what I might do to locate the problem, I'd like to try to get information together for a bug report.

Thanks!
John

Re: Eclipse hang

Andrew Eisenberg
Is this repeatable?  Any chance you can send over a stack dump?

First, use jps to find the process that is hanging and then call
jstack on that process.  Thanks.

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM, John Bito <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure how to try and isolate this problem. Eclipse hung while I was
> editing a rather long JUnit test class (UserTest.groovy).  The last console
> output was:
>
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@2ba7c334
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 876 Groovy:unexpected
> token: } @ line 876, column 1.
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 135 Groovy:expecting '('
> or '[' after type name to continue new expression @ line 135, column 26.
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 135 Groovy:expecting
> '}', found ')' @ line 135, column 58.
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@543a5106
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137 Groovy:unexpected
> token: } @ line 137, column 2.
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@1652782d
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137 Groovy:unexpected
> token: } @ line 137, column 2.
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@49fe4f8
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137 Groovy:unexpected
> token: } @ line 137, column 2.
>
> I didn't find any related entries in the Eclipse log. If there's any
> guidance on what I might do to locate the problem, I'd like to try to get
> information together for a bug report.
>
> Thanks!
> John

Re: Eclipse hang

John Bito
Thanks for the guidance. I couldn't get the stack trace this time. The problem doesn't occur often. I just updated to the latest 2.5.2 build, so we'll see...

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 13:24, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is this repeatable?  Any chance you can send over a stack dump?

First, use jps to find the process that is hanging and then call
jstack on that process.  Thanks.

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM, John Bito <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not sure how to try and isolate this problem. Eclipse hung while I was
> editing a rather long JUnit test class (UserTest.groovy).  The last console
> output was:
>
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@2ba7c334
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 876 Groovy:unexpected
> token: } @ line 876, column 1.
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 135 Groovy:expecting '('
> or '[' after type name to continue new expression @ line 135, column 26.
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 135 Groovy:expecting
> '}', found ')' @ line 135, column 58.
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@543a5106
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137 Groovy:unexpected
> token: } @ line 137, column 2.
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@1652782d
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137 Groovy:unexpected
> token: } @ line 137, column 2.
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@49fe4f8
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137 Groovy:unexpected
> token: } @ line 137, column 2.
>
> I didn't find any related entries in the Eclipse log. If there's any
> guidance on what I might do to locate the problem, I'd like to try to get
> information together for a bug report.
>
> Thanks!
> John

Re: Eclipse hang

John Bito
I have a trace from a hang that's a bit less obstructive than the one I got yesterday. In this case, Eclipse still displays, it's just impossibly slow to scroll or edit. This one wasn't quite as apparently tied to a single change in a source file - JUnit tests were supposed to be starting when I was editing a file named AccountActivityMediator.groovy.

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 13:24, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is this repeatable?  Any chance you can send over a stack dump?

First, use jps to find the process that is hanging and then call
jstack on that process.  Thanks.

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM, John Bito <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not sure how to try and isolate this problem. Eclipse hung while I was
> editing a rather long JUnit test class (UserTest.groovy).  The last console
> output was:
>
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@2ba7c334
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 876 Groovy:unexpected
> token: } @ line 876, column 1.
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 135 Groovy:expecting '('
> or '[' after type name to continue new expression @ line 135, column 26.
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 135 Groovy:expecting
> '}', found ')' @ line 135, column 58.
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@543a5106
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137 Groovy:unexpected
> token: } @ line 137, column 2.
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@1652782d
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137 Groovy:unexpected
> token: } @ line 137, column 2.
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@49fe4f8
> /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137 Groovy:unexpected
> token: } @ line 137, column 2.
>
> I didn't find any related entries in the Eclipse log. If there's any
> guidance on what I might do to locate the problem, I'd like to try to get
> information together for a bug report.
>
> Thanks!
> John

eclipseStack201107181500.txt (53K) Download Attachment

Re: Eclipse hang

Andrew Eisenberg
Thanks for this.  I can see that this isn't a deadlock.

As you mention, it looks like your Eclipse was doing an analysis to
look for potential JUnit tests.  To do this, there is a parse and
reconcile of all files in the scope of the launch (eg- the package,
source folder, or project).  Even though Eclipse just needs to look at
method and class signatures to find tests, it is going through the
entire reconcile process that determines the types of all expressions
in every file (this is quite a bit of overkill).  JDT has a notion of
a diet parse, where the parser only looks at class/field/method
signatures (and doesn't look at expressions).  This is quite a bit
faster and very useful in situations like this.  However, this is not
something that Groovy-Eclipse has implemented, but it is something we
are considering.

This is actually interesting, but it's probably quite a bit different
from the previous problem that you had.

I'm guessing that you tried to launch an entire project of tests.  Do
you get the same kind of slowness when you launch just a single test?

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 3:11 PM, John Bito <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a trace from a hang that's a bit less obstructive than the one I got
> yesterday. In this case, Eclipse still displays, it's just impossibly slow
> to scroll or edit. This one wasn't quite as apparently tied to a single
> change in a source file - JUnit tests were supposed to be starting when I
> was editing a file named AccountActivityMediator.groovy.
>
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 13:24, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is this repeatable?  Any chance you can send over a stack dump?
>>
>> First, use jps to find the process that is hanging and then call
>> jstack on that process.  Thanks.
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM, John Bito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I'm not sure how to try and isolate this problem. Eclipse hung while I
>> > was
>> > editing a rather long JUnit test class (UserTest.groovy).  The last
>> > console
>> > output was:
>> >
>> > org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@2ba7c334
>> > /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 876
>> > Groovy:unexpected
>> > token: } @ line 876, column 1.
>> > /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 135 Groovy:expecting
>> > '('
>> > or '[' after type name to continue new expression @ line 135, column 26.
>> > /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 135 Groovy:expecting
>> > '}', found ')' @ line 135, column 58.
>> > org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@543a5106
>> > /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137
>> > Groovy:unexpected
>> > token: } @ line 137, column 2.
>> > org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@1652782d
>> > /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137
>> > Groovy:unexpected
>> > token: } @ line 137, column 2.
>> > org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.SyntaxErrorMessage@49fe4f8
>> > /main/src-test/com/peersaver/model/UserTest.groovy: 137
>> > Groovy:unexpected
>> > token: } @ line 137, column 2.
>> >
>> > I didn't find any related entries in the Eclipse log. If there's any
>> > guidance on what I might do to locate the problem, I'd like to try to
>> > get
>> > information together for a bug report.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > John

Re: Eclipse hang

John Bito
Thanks, Andrew!

I thought this might be relevant because I often launch tests for the entire project without getting so bogged down. I'd also made a change in a Groovy file while the JUnit was launching.

Anyway, I haven't had a complete freeze while editing since updating the 2.5.2 plugin.
John