Error on first Groovy project

MikeM
I downloaded eclipse 3.6, and then GroovyEclipse 2.0.2.xx-20100630-0900-e36.

Created a new Groovy project.
Select the src folder. Right-click New > Grovy Class.
Give the class a name and press Finish.

Error message:

Creation of element failed.
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.coreCompilationUnit cannot be cast to org.codehaus.jdt.groovy.model.GroovyCompilationUnit

Any suggestions?

The file is actually created, but when opened the editor does not recognize the Groovy syntax.

A factor that might be playing here: My project is in a workspace that was previously created by eclipse 3.5.

Re: Error on first Groovy project

Andrew Eisenberg
Can you send me the full stack trace?  Also, what was the text of the
class that got created.

I'd also recommend upgrading to the RC version.  See here:

http://groovy.codehaus.org/Eclipse+Plugin

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 7:03 AM, MikeM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I downloaded eclipse 3.6, and then GroovyEclipse 2.0.2.xx-20100630-0900-e36.
>
> Created a new Groovy project.
> Select the src folder. Right-click New > Grovy Class.
> Give the class a name and press Finish.
>
> Error message:
>
> Creation of element failed.
> org.eclipse.jdt.internal.coreCompilationUnit cannot be cast to
> org.codehaus.jdt.groovy.model.GroovyCompilationUnit
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> The file is actually created, but when opened the editor does not recognize
> the Groovy syntax.
>
> A factor that might be playing here: My project is in a workspace that was
> previously created by eclipse 3.5.

Re: Error on first Groovy project

MikeM
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the speedy response.
The error message is displayed in a dialog box. It did not contain a stack trace (can it be found elsewhere?)

The full contents of the class is:

class Acme {

}

But I'm happy to report that the upgrade to the RC solved the problem.

Thanks!
Mike

Re: Error on first Groovy project

Andrew Eisenberg
Thanks for getting back to us.  We did do some work on the wizard
since the 2.0.2 release and likely this fixed your problem.