Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2, Groovy 1.7.5 and Groovy++

Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2, Groovy 1.7.5 and Groovy++

Daniel Henrique Alves Lima
    Hi.

    Do Groovy Eclipse and Groovy++ play nice together? I'm trying
Eclipse 3.6.2 + Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2 + groovy-all-1.7.5.jar (my original
app is using Grails 1.3.6) + groovypp-all-0.4.150.jar and I'm getting
the following error message:

Groovy:Internal Error: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.BytecodeHelper.<init>(Lgroovyjarjarasm/asm/MethodVisitor;)V
Test.groovy    /test_greclipse/src    line 4    Java Problem

    If I remove Typed annotation and Groovy++ library from the project
classpath, everything works fine.

    Everything also works fine at the command line world:

[daniel@techdm test_greclipse]$ groovy -version
Groovy Version: 1.7.5 JVM: 1.6.0_23
[daniel@techdm test_greclipse]$ groovyc -cp
${GRAILS_HOME}/lib/groovy-all-1.7.5.jar:lib/groovypp-all-0.4.150.jar -d
bin/ src/Test.groovy
[daniel@techdm test_greclipse]$ java -cp
${GRAILS_HOME}/lib/groovy-all-1.7.5.jar:lib/groovypp-all-0.4.150.jar:bin
Test
ok

    My test project:
http://grails-batch-launcher-plugin.googlecode.com/files/test_greclipse.tar.bz2

    Thanks in advance.

          Best regards,

                Daniel.

BTW: I'm not using STS (it's a long story).

Re: Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2, Groovy 1.7.5 and Groovy++

Daniel Henrique Alves Lima
    I've read this: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-826.
    I'm just unsure about what should work and what shouldn't.

    Thanks.

Daniel Henrique Alves Lima wrote:

>    Hi.
>
>    Do Groovy Eclipse and Groovy++ play nice together? I'm trying
> Eclipse 3.6.2 + Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2 + groovy-all-1.7.5.jar (my
> original app is using Grails 1.3.6) + groovypp-all-0.4.150.jar and I'm
> getting the following error message:
>
> Groovy:Internal Error: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.BytecodeHelper.<init>(Lgroovyjarjarasm/asm/MethodVisitor;)V
> Test.groovy    /test_greclipse/src    line 4    Java Problem
>
>    If I remove Typed annotation and Groovy++ library from the project
> classpath, everything works fine.
>
>    Everything also works fine at the command line world:
>
> [daniel@techdm test_greclipse]$ groovy -version
> Groovy Version: 1.7.5 JVM: 1.6.0_23
> [daniel@techdm test_greclipse]$ groovyc -cp
> ${GRAILS_HOME}/lib/groovy-all-1.7.5.jar:lib/groovypp-all-0.4.150.jar
> -d bin/ src/Test.groovy
> [daniel@techdm test_greclipse]$ java -cp
> ${GRAILS_HOME}/lib/groovy-all-1.7.5.jar:lib/groovypp-all-0.4.150.jar:bin
> Test
> ok
>
>    My test project:
> http://grails-batch-launcher-plugin.googlecode.com/files/test_greclipse.tar.bz2
>

>    Thanks in advance.
>
>          Best regards,
>
>                Daniel.
>

> BTW: I'm not using STS (it's a long story).

Re: Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2, Groovy 1.7.5 and Groovy++

Roshan Dawrani
Probably this recent comment from Andy summarize the status quo on official G++ support  in GRECLIPSE - "Thanks for trying that, looks like as I said, it is working by luck, we have no tests for this scenario yet." :-)

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Daniel Henrique Alves Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Roshan
Blog: http://roshandawrani.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @roshandawrani
Skype: roshandawrani

Re: Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2, Groovy 1.7.5 and Groovy++

Andy Clement
Hi Daniel,

Actually, the comment Roshan is referring to is actually *only* about
the use of .gpp files. Groovy-Eclipse and groovypp do work together if
you use the .groovy files with @Typed annotations, we have tests for
that (and I announced initial support in the groovy-eclipse 2.1.2 new
and noteworthy).  There are some remaining issues around generics when
using @Typed but no-one seems to have seen those other than me so far.
 If you want to use .gpp files you can use the instructions in that
bug report but we have no tests for it, so if it works for you that's
great, but if it doesn't I am not surprised.

I would recommend you upgrade to Groovy-Eclipse 2.5.0 - that has the
more recent Groovy 1.7.10 and Groovy 1.8.0 in it and is the level at
which I've been doing my recent testing.  Then choose the appropriate
matching groovypp library.

When I get a moment I'll be writing it all up.

One thing I guess I should mention - groovy eclipse 2.1.2 includes
groovy 1.7.8 ( http://groovy.codehaus.org/Groovy-Eclipse+2.1.2+New+and+Noteworthy
). It doesn't matter what you try and change the library to on the
classpath of the project, groovy eclipse 2.1.2 will be building your
code using a 1.7.8 compiler.  The library on the classpath will only
be used to resolve dependencies (and when the code runs), it wont make
your code build with a 1.7.5 compiler.  A mismatch in levels between
the groovy-eclipse compiler level (1.7.8) and the classpath jar (e.g
1.7.5) may well lead to issues, and throwing groovypp into that mix
may not help the situation.

I'll try and get this article together very soon.

cheers
Andy

On 25 May 2011 20:42, Roshan Dawrani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Probably this recent comment from Andy summarize the status quo on official
> G++ support  in GRECLIPSE - "Thanks for trying that, looks like as I said,
> it is working by luck, we have no tests for this scenario yet." :-)
>
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Daniel Henrique Alves Lima
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>   I've read this: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-826.
>>   I'm just unsure about what should work and what shouldn't.
>>
>>   Thanks.
>>
>> Daniel Henrique Alves Lima wrote:
>>>
>>>   Hi.
>>>
>>>   Do Groovy Eclipse and Groovy++ play nice together? I'm trying Eclipse
>>> 3.6.2 + Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2 + groovy-all-1.7.5.jar (my original app is
>>> using Grails 1.3.6) + groovypp-all-0.4.150.jar and I'm getting the following
>>> error message:
>>>
>>> Groovy:Internal Error: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
>>> org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.BytecodeHelper.<init>(Lgroovyjarjarasm/asm/MethodVisitor;)V
>>>    Test.groovy    /test_greclipse/src    line 4    Java Problem
>>>
>>>   If I remove Typed annotation and Groovy++ library from the project
>>> classpath, everything works fine.
>>>
>>>   Everything also works fine at the command line world:
>>>
>>> [daniel@techdm test_greclipse]$ groovy -version
>>> Groovy Version: 1.7.5 JVM: 1.6.0_23
>>> [daniel@techdm test_greclipse]$ groovyc -cp
>>> ${GRAILS_HOME}/lib/groovy-all-1.7.5.jar:lib/groovypp-all-0.4.150.jar -d bin/
>>> src/Test.groovy
>>> [daniel@techdm test_greclipse]$ java -cp
>>> ${GRAILS_HOME}/lib/groovy-all-1.7.5.jar:lib/groovypp-all-0.4.150.jar:bin
>>> Test
>>> ok
>>>
>>>   My test project:
>>> http://grails-batch-launcher-plugin.googlecode.com/files/test_greclipse.tar.bz2
>>>
>>>   Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>         Best regards,
>>>
>>>               Daniel.
>>>

>>> BTW: I'm not using STS (it's a long story).

> Roshan
> Blog: http://roshandawrani.wordpress.com/
> Twitter: @roshandawrani
> Skype: roshandawrani

Re: Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2, Groovy 1.7.5 and Groovy++

Roshan Dawrani
Oh. Then I certainly misunderstood your comment on the issue (Provide Groovy++ support in Groovy-Eclipse plugin), Andy.

I thought it meant to say that only the initial/basic support for G++ has been added in the plugin and in more advanced usages, the official support is not there (say, due to issues like those you point to), so if those more advances cases currently work, it is by luck. Didn't pick up that comment was only about gpp files.

Skype: roshandawrani

Andy Clement wrote:
> Hi Daniel,

    Hi, Andy.

> Actually, the comment Roshan is referring to is actually *only* about
> the use of .gpp files. Groovy-Eclipse and groovypp do work together if
> you use the .groovy files with @Typed annotations, we have tests for
> that (and I announced initial support in the groovy-eclipse 2.1.2 new
> and noteworthy).  There are some remaining issues around generics when
> using @Typed but no-one seems to have seen those other than me so far.
>  If you want to use .gpp files you can use the instructions in that
> bug report but we have no tests for it, so if it works for you that's
> great, but if it doesn't I am not surprised.

Ok.

> I would recommend you upgrade to Groovy-Eclipse 2.5.0 - that has the
> more recent Groovy 1.7.10 and Groovy 1.8.0 in it and is the level at
> which I've been doing my recent testing.  Then choose the appropriate
> matching groovypp library.
>
> When I get a moment I'll be writing it all up.

Ok, but I'm not sure if I can do it.

> One thing I guess I should mention - groovy eclipse 2.1.2 includes
> groovy 1.7.8 ( http://groovy.codehaus.org/Groovy-Eclipse+2.1.2+New+and+Noteworthy
> ). It doesn't matter what you try and change the library to on the
> classpath of the project, groovy eclipse 2.1.2 will be building your
> code using a 1.7.8 compiler.  The library on the classpath will only
> be used to resolve dependencies (and when the code runs), it wont make
> your code build with a 1.7.5 compiler.  A mismatch in levels between
> the groovy-eclipse compiler level (1.7.8) and the classpath jar (e.g
> 1.7.5) may well lead to issues, and throwing groovypp into that mix
> may not help the situation.

Ok, but this scheme (1.7.5 + Eclipse 1.7.8) does work without groovy++.
Probably a coincidence.
Am I able to change the library used by Groovy Eclipse? Because I'm
working in a Grails project. The version of Grails is 1.3.6 and it uses
(as much as I know) Groovy 1.7.5.

> I'll try and get this article together very soon.

Ok.

Thanks.

Best regards.

       Daniel.

Re: Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2, Groovy 1.7.5 and Groovy++

Daniel Henrique Alves Lima
        Andy, as an improvement (or a feature request), how about the
possibility of selecting the lib dir, to switch between Groovy patch
versions - groovy-major.minor.patch.jar? I'm aware Groovy Eclipse is
able to switch between minor versions. Something similar to installing
and selecting a new JRE or changing ANT runtime classpath. I believe a
selectable compiler will be probably more complex than the previous
examples, but is it doable?

        Thanks.

        Best regards,

                Daniel.

Re: Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2, Groovy 1.7.5 and Groovy++

Andy Clement
Hey,

> Ok, but this scheme (1.7.5 + Eclipse 1.7.8) does work without groovy++. Probably a coincidence.

Yep, I think *usually* the runtimes are compatible across minor
versions, so you are getting away with it for now.

> how about the possibility of selecting the lib dir, to switch between Groovy patch versions - groovy-major.minor.patch.jar?

I'm sure you know we can't run the groovy compiler unpatched, so we
can't just drop in a groovy release and use the compiler from it -
gradually our patches make it into groovyc, maybe sometime in the
future we will be able to use it unpatched.  However, for now
'compiler switching' would only mean switching between versions we
have previously patched. It wouldn't be easy though - we often change
(improve) the interfaces between the patched compiler and the main
groovy-eclipse code on new versions, so we'd have to keep upgrading
all the old versions of the patched compilers.  And I don't really
want to support all those versions, we have enough trouble using our
resources just supporting the latest 1.7 and 1.8 releases.  Although I
think you might be right that grails 1.3.6 uses 1.7.5 internally, is
there any reason it won't behave with a 1.7.10 groovy-eclipse?  I
don't recall any changes that would prevent that from working.

Looking back at the new and noteworthy I did say groovy++ was working
in 2.1.2 groovy-eclipse, so if you do get the right groovypp jar in
the mix, it ought to behave.  But the first thing I'll ask you to do
when you tell me it doesn't work is upgrade to 2.5, I don't have a way
to release fixes on a 2.1.2 service line :)

The challenge I'm thinking about tackling now is supporting 1.7 and
1.8 in the same workspace.

cheers
Andy

On 26 May 2011 05:36, Daniel Henrique Alves Lima
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>        Andy, as an improvement (or a feature request), how about the
> possibility of selecting the lib dir, to switch between Groovy patch
> versions - groovy-major.minor.patch.jar? I'm aware Groovy Eclipse is
> able to switch between minor versions. Something similar to installing
> and selecting a new JRE or changing ANT runtime classpath. I believe a
> selectable compiler will be probably more complex than the previous
> examples, but is it doable?
>
>        Thanks.
>
>        Best regards,
>
>                Daniel.

Re: Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2, Groovy 1.7.5 and Groovy++

Daniel Henrique Alves Lima
        Hi, Andy.

        I wasn't aware that Groovy Eclipse used patched versions of groovyc.

        About the version of Groovy: I think groovy++ for 1.7.5 isn't
compatible with groovy 1.7.10 and/or groovy++ for 1.7.10 isn't
compatible with groovy 1.7.5 (I remember I've tried something like
that and I faced some very weird errors). So I will end up using
different pairs of groovy/groovy++ for command line (Grails) and
Eclipse. That doesn't seem a good idea.
        Another possibility would be to upgrade my project to Grails
1.3.7, which uses Groovy 1.7.8, but I would need to test the entire
project again.

        I can try a stupid workaround: To remove Typed annotation from
groovypp.jar and make it available in my Eclipse project. Thus the
Eclipse compiler won't complain about @Typed and the modified classes
would be generated only by the Grails compiler.

        Thanks.

                Best regards.

Daniel.

Re: Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2, Groovy 1.7.5 and Groovy++

Daniel Henrique Alves Lima
        Sometimes I just hate playing LEGO :)

        Grails 1.3.7 (groovy-all-1.7.8) and groovypp-all-0.4.215.jar
aren't playing nice together. I also tried groovypp-all-0.4.180.jar.

  [groovyc] Compiling 40 source files to xyz
Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
  [groovyc] null
Compilation error: Compilation Failed

        Removing @Typed and groovypp solves the issue, but I need
Groovy++ in some cases. Well, I'll revert the changes that I've made
and try my workaround later.

        Best regards,

                Daniel.

Re: Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2, Groovy 1.7.5 and Groovy++

Daniel Henrique Alves Lima
        Ok. I'm sorry for the crosspost.

        I'm now using Eclipse 3.6.2 (M20110210-1200), Groovy Eclipse
2.5.0.xx-20110511-1600-e36-RELEASE (which uses Groovy 1.7.10) and
groovypp-all-0.4.246_1.7.10.jar. It still doesn't work:

Description     Resource        Path    Location        Type
Internal compiler error: java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.BytecodeInstruction.visit(Lorg/objectweb/asm/MethodVisitor;)V
at org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.visitConstructorOrMethod(AsmClassGenerator.java:596)
      Test.groovy     /grprj/src      line 0  Java Problem

        The test project is here:

http://grails-batch-launcher-plugin.googlecode.com/files/grprj.zip

        Does it work for anyone? Am I doing something wrong or am I
missing something?

        There is also this message:

http://groups.google.com/group/groovyplusplus/browse_thread/thread/3cf3983270f98519/12feed8025b2bbd7?#12feed8025b2bbd7

        Should I assume that Groovy Eclipse and Groovy++ don't work together?

                Thanks in advance.

                        Best regards.

                                Daniel.

Read these in the context:
http://groups.google.com/group/groovyplusplus/browse_thread/thread/433122df4f3adce3
http://markmail.org/thread/re25ir34d7xbkkuu

Re: Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2, Groovy 1.7.5 and Groovy++

Alex Tkachman
Most probably you need groovypp.jar instead of groovypp-all.jar

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Daniel Henrique Alves Lima
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>        Ok. I'm sorry for the crosspost.
>
>        I'm now using Eclipse 3.6.2 (M20110210-1200), Groovy Eclipse
> 2.5.0.xx-20110511-1600-e36-RELEASE (which uses Groovy 1.7.10) and
> groovypp-all-0.4.246_1.7.10.jar. It still doesn't work:
>
> Description     Resource        Path    Location        Type
> Internal compiler error: java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
> org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.BytecodeInstruction.visit(Lorg/objectweb/asm/MethodVisitor;)V
> at org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.visitConstructorOrMethod(AsmClassGenerator.java:596)
>      Test.groovy     /grprj/src      line 0  Java Problem
>

>        The test project is here:
>
> http://grails-batch-launcher-plugin.googlecode.com/files/grprj.zip
>

>        Does it work for anyone? Am I doing something wrong or am I
> missing something?
>
>        There is also this message:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/groovyplusplus/browse_thread/thread/3cf3983270f98519/12feed8025b2bbd7?#12feed8025b2bbd7
>

>        Should I assume that Groovy Eclipse and Groovy++ don't work together?
>

>                Thanks in advance.
>

>                        Best regards.
>
>                                Daniel.
>

> Read these in the context:
> http://groups.google.com/group/groovyplusplus/browse_thread/thread/433122df4f3adce3
> http://markmail.org/thread/re25ir34d7xbkkuu

Re: Groovy Eclipse 2.1.2, Groovy 1.7.5 and Groovy++

Daniel Henrique Alves Lima
        Hi, Alex.

        Using groovypp.jar instead of groovypp-all.jar did the trick.
I was using groovypp-all because Groovy Eclipse sets/uses
groovy-all.jar as one of the "Groovy Libraries". But I think Andy said
that these libraries are only used at runtime (they aren't used by the
Groovy Eclipse compiler), so the solution makes sense.

        Thanks!