Groovy editor plugin cannot find JRE only for OSX?

Groovy editor plugin cannot find JRE only for OSX?

David Wynter
Hi,

I am using the Groovy plugin, V2.8.0, works in Linux and Windows but not OSX

Whenever I open a groovy resource to edit I get an error icon in the left margin with the following:

Multiple markers at this line
    - The type java.lang.String cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class
     files
    - The type java.lang.Object cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class
     files

I have of course included the JRE.

.classpath file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<classpath>
    <classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/JavaSE-1.6"/>
    <classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.pde.core.requiredPlugins"/>
    <classpathentry exported="true" kind="con" path="GROOVY_DSL_SUPPORT"/>
    <classpathentry kind="output" path="bin"/>
</classpath>

ellipses here are just to hide a lot of internal resources used by the app.

Here is my MANIFEST.MF

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Bundle-Name: %plugin.name
Bundle-Localization: plugin
Bundle-SymbolicName: com.yambina.edm.ui;singleton:=true
Bundle-Version: 1.0.0.qualifier
Bundle-Activator: com.yambina.mdwmui.MDWMUIPlugin
Bundle-Vendor: %plugin.providerName
Require-Bundle: com.yambina.edm.commons;bundle-version="1.0.0",
 org.drools.eclipse;bundle-version="[5.2.0.YR,5.2.1)",
 org.eclipse.core.runtime,
 org.eclipse.core.commands,
 org.eclipse.core.expressions,
 org.eclipse.core.databinding,
 org.eclipse.core.databinding.beans,
 org.eclipse.help.ui,
 org.eclipse.jface,
 org.eclipse.jface.databinding,
 org.eclipse.jface.text,
 org.eclipse.ui.ide,
 org.eclipse.ui.workbench,
 org.eclipse.ui.editors,
 org.eclipse.emf.edit.ui,
 org.eclipse.jdt.core,
 org.eclipse.ltk.core.refactoring,
 org.eclipse.wst.xml.core,
 org.eclipse.wst.xml.ui,
 org.eclipse.wst.sse.core,
 org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui,
 org.eclipse.wst.validation.ui,
 org.eclipse.pde,
 org.eclipse.pde.core,
 org.eclipse.pde.runtime,
 org.eclipse.equinox.ds;bundle-version="1.4.101",
 org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.core,
 org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.ui,
 org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.dsl,
 org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.codebrowsing,
 org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.quickfix,
 org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.codeassist.completion,
 org.eclipse.core.resources,
 org.eclipse.e4.ui.model.workbench,
 org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench,
 org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts,
 com.yambina.edm.ui.internal;bundle-version="1.0.0",
 com.yambina.edm.ui.internal.converter;bundle-version="1.0.0",
 org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse;bundle-version="2.8.0",
 org.codehaus.groovy;bundle-version="2.1.5"
Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.7
Bundle-ActivationPolicy: lazy
Bundle-ClassPath: .,
 lib/xsom-20110101-SNAPSHOT.jar,
 lib/relaxngDatatype.jar

I am at loss to work out what can be wrong?

Thx.

David

Re: Groovy editor plugin cannot find JRE only for OSX?

David Wynter
Hi,

Bumping this as I have not solved it and am cannot find a way forward. Anyone have any idea what might cause this error?

Thx.

David

On 18 February 2014 10:33, David Wynter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David

Re: Groovy editor plugin cannot find JRE only for OSX?

Kris De Volder
I'm not on a Mac, but maybe it doesn't matter. Double check your workspace JRE are properly pointing to correct locations.
It sounds like the classpath "JRE" classpath container is not getting populated with the proper jars from your JVM installation.

My guess is that maybe this is an issue with the workspace settings telling Eclipse where your JRE/JDK is installed.

Go to Window >> Preferences
Search for 'JRE' (type in search box). Double check the JREs (the Java 6 one in particular) actually points to something valid.

You could also try in a brand new workspace, Eclipse will setup the default JRE properly in a new workspace.

If you use an old workspace the location of an old JRE may be still stored in there after you deleted / upgraded to a new one.

Kris

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 8:23 AM, David Wynter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sadly this did not work, deleted the workspace and checked the JRE locations. I downloaded the src for groovy eclipse and see the plugin for o.c.groovy.eclipse.core uses a SE1.5 JRE, we use 1.7 for our product, but this should be a problem.

I have tried every angle I can think of. At the moment the only reason our Eclipse RCP based tool that uses the groovy eclipse plugin does not support OSX is the groovy eclipse plugin's inability to resolve the JRE classes. Curious to know if anyone else has it embedded in a eclipse RCP product that runs on OSX.

When I click the error at the top of an open groovy editor and select "Configure Build path..." it shows up the JRE without error in the dialog in the Libraries tab of the Java Build Path. The "name" is JRE and the "path" is "/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home". Seems so strange that the dialog shows the correct JRE library without error and yet the editor itself cannot resolve it?

Not sure where to go now.

David

On 7 May 2014 20:31, Kris De Volder <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Skeptic .

Re: Groovy editor plugin cannot find JRE only for OSX?

Kris De Volder
Not sure what else to advise you. Can you create a new workspace and see if the problem happens there as well?
Maybe something has gotten corrupted in the workspace metadata.

Grasping at straws really, I have no idea.

If this doesn't work, perhaps you can try create a sample project that shows the issue and raise a bug report.
One of our Mac people can try to reproduce it then and figure out what is going on.

Kris