Interested in helping a research study on Eclipse?

Interested in helping a research study on Eclipse?

Mohsen Vakilian
Hi

I'm Mohsen, a PhD student working with Prof. Ralph Johnson at the University of Illinois at Urbana-
Champaign (UIUC). Ralph is a co-author of the seminal book on design patterns (GoF) and his research
group has a history of important contributions to IDE's.

Our team [1] is studying how developers interact with the Eclipse IDE for evolving and maintaining their
code. We've noticed Eclipse project files at the source code repository of Groovy. So, we assume you
are using Eclipse to contribute to Groovy. Therefore, we are extending this invitation to Groovy
developers and would greatly appreciate and value your participation and help in our research study.

To participate you should be at least 18 years old and use Eclipse Helios for Java development. As a
participant, we ask that you complete a short survey and install our Eclipse plug-in called
CodingSpectator [2].

CodingSpectator monitors programming interactions non-intrusively in the background and periodically
uploads it to a secure server at UIUC. To get a representative perspective of how you interact with
Eclipse, we would appreciate if you could install CodingSpectator for two months. Rest assured that we
are taking the utmost measures to protect your privacy and confidentiality.

If you are interested, you may sign up at <http://codingspectator.cs.illinois.edu/ConsentForm>, which
contains our consent form with all the details and procedures of our research study.

Your participation will help us greatly as we try to better understand how developers interact with their
IDE's so we can propose improvements which fit better with their mindsets.

Thanks in advance for your time! Please do not hesitate to contact me ([hidden email]) if you
have any questions or comments. More information can also be found at our FAQ [3]. Feel free to
forward this invitation to anyone who might be interested in participating in this study.

--
Mohsen Vakilian
& the CodingSpectator team

[1] http://codingspectator.cs.illinois.edu/People