M2 is imminent, please try latest snapshot

M2 is imminent, please try latest snapshot

The M2 release is imminent.  We would have released it a few days ago
except that we encountered some difficulties integrating some changes
to the ASTTransforms from 1.7RC1 into the latest build.  Andy has just
fixed all of that (see http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-563),
but this kind of stuff is very, very difficult for us to test in all
situations in the wild (although we do have Grails working again).
So, before making the M2 release official, I would like to humbly
request that everyone upgrade to the latest snapshot build so that we
can ensure that ASTTransforms (and all other features) are still
working as expected.

Please raise any oddities that you find:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE

And the update site is here:
dist.codehaus.org/groovy/distributions/greclipse/snapshot/e3.5/

If no one uncovers any major problems, we will release M2 first thing
tomorrow (Friday) morning PST.

thanks for your help,
Andrew

Re: M2 is imminent, please try latest snapshot

Marcel Wagner
Hi, should not groovy 1.6.7 part of this release? The snapshot includes
1.6.6.

Marcel

Andrew Eisenberg schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> The M2 release is imminent.  We would have released it a few days ago
> except that we encountered some difficulties integrating some changes
> to the ASTTransforms from 1.7RC1 into the latest build.  Andy has just
> fixed all of that (see http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-563),
> but this kind of stuff is very, very difficult for us to test in all
> situations in the wild (although we do have Grails working again).
> So, before making the M2 release official, I would like to humbly
> request that everyone upgrade to the latest snapshot build so that we
> can ensure that ASTTransforms (and all other features) are still
> working as expected.
>
> Please raise any oddities that you find:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE
>
> And the update site is here:
> dist.codehaus.org/groovy/distributions/greclipse/snapshot/e3.5/
>
> If no one uncovers any major problems, we will release M2 first thing
> tomorrow (Friday) morning PST.
>
> thanks for your help,
> Andrew

Re: M2 is imminent, please try latest snapshot

Guillaume Laforge-2
To contribute to the topic:
1.6.7 just has a minor change, so I think it should be a drop-in replacement.

Guillaume

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 18:34, Marcel Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, should not groovy 1.6.7 part of this release? The snapshot includes
> 1.6.6.
>
> Marcel
>
> Andrew Eisenberg schrieb:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The M2 release is imminent.  We would have released it a few days ago
>> except that we encountered some difficulties integrating some changes
>> to the ASTTransforms from 1.7RC1 into the latest build.  Andy has just
>> fixed all of that (see http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-563),
>> but this kind of stuff is very, very difficult for us to test in all
>> situations in the wild (although we do have Grails working again).
>> So, before making the M2 release official, I would like to humbly
>> request that everyone upgrade to the latest snapshot build so that we
>> can ensure that ASTTransforms (and all other features) are still
>> working as expected.
>>
>> Please raise any oddities that you find:
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE
>>
>> And the update site is here:
>> dist.codehaus.org/groovy/distributions/greclipse/snapshot/e3.5/
>>
>> If no one uncovers any major problems, we will release M2 first thing
>> tomorrow (Friday) morning PST.
>>
>> thanks for your help,
>> Andrew

Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: [groovy-announce] Groovy-Eclipse 2.0M2 released

Aaron Digulla
Hi All,

I just wanted to thank you for the great work in the V2 of the plugin. I
upgraded to development version (since M1 was a tad too slow for me).
The new code completion lookup really rocks, the whole experience is now
snappy and pleasant.

Well done!

The only minor issue is that I see memory leaks or at least a huge
memory consumption (300-500MB). It's not too bad but I have to restart
Eclipse every few days since it will start to hog memory (usually, I
start E on Monday morning and then let it run the whole week).

Thanks a lot!

http://blog.pdark.de/

Re: Re: [groovy-announce] Groovy-Eclipse 2.0M2 released

Andrew Eisenberg
> Well done!
Thanks!

> The only minor issue is that I see memory leaks or at least a huge
> memory consumption (300-500MB). It's not too bad but I have to restart
> Eclipse every few days since it will start to hog memory (usually, I
> start E on Monday morning and then let it run the whole week).

Although memory leaks are concerning, using 300-500 MB for Eclipse is
not uncommon even when working on plain old Java projects.  Are you
seeing memory usage increase over time?  A crude way to tack heap size
is to show the heap status in the status line:
Eclipse->Preferences->General->Show heap status.

I typically run Eclipse with the following vmargs:

-vmargs -Xmx1024M -XX:PermSize=64M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M

(1024 Xmx is a bit excessive in most cases, but 768 is reasonable).

I did fix a memory leak for M2, and I am not aware of any others (this
is not to say that they don't exist).   Please let me know if you
continue to see leaks.  We are planning to do a memory analysis before
the final release, but it is always good to know if there is something
particular we are looking for.

Re: Re: [groovy-announce] Groovy-Eclipse 2.0M2 released

Aurélien Pupier
Hi,

If you are using the groovy eclipse plugin extensively for a long time and that you notice that Eclipse takes a lot of memory, it will be great that you get a head dump of your JVM in order to analyse it after.

get a head dump : http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/MemoryAnalyzer#Getting_a_Heap_Dump
a great analyzer tool : http://www.eclipse.org/mat/

Regards,

2009/12/14 Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
> Well done!
Thanks!

> The only minor issue is that I see memory leaks or at least a huge
> memory consumption (300-500MB). It's not too bad but I have to restart
> Eclipse every few days since it will start to hog memory (usually, I
> start E on Monday morning and then let it run the whole week).

Although memory leaks are concerning, using 300-500 MB for Eclipse is
not uncommon even when working on plain old Java projects.  Are you
seeing memory usage increase over time?  A crude way to tack heap size
is to show the heap status in the status line:
Eclipse->Preferences->General->Show heap status.

I typically run Eclipse with the following vmargs:

-vmargs -Xmx1024M -XX:PermSize=64M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M

(1024 Xmx is a bit excessive in most cases, but 768 is reasonable).

I did fix a memory leak for M2, and I am not aware of any others (this
is not to say that they don't exist).   Please let me know if you
continue to see leaks.  We are planning to do a memory analysis before
the final release, but it is always good to know if there is something
particular we are looking for.

Aurelien Pupier
R&D Engineer, BOS Studio Developer

BonitaSoft - Open your processes
email : [hidden email]

This message and any attachment (the "message") is intended solely for the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message by mistake, please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any out-spread or disclosure, either as a whole or partially, is prohibited except with formal approval. Internet cannot guarantee the integrity of this message, therefore BonitaSoft will not be liable for the message if modified.