Problem and solution when using plugin in Ubuntu 13.04

Problem and solution when using plugin in Ubuntu 13.04

Ying-Rong Chen
Hi all,

I am new to Groovy and Groovy-Eclipse.

Here is the problem I met and the solution to solve it,
when setting up Eclipse to work with Groovy in Ubuntu (accurately
Lubuntu 13.04 x64).

Hope this information would be helpful for other new users.

[Problem]
After installing Groovy-Eclipse (4.2/3.8) plugin into Eclipse (3.8 got
from Ubuntu repository) and restart,
the options related Groovy should have been added but got nothing.

Worse still, the perspectives related to Java (those in Window->Open
Perspective->Other...)
and all options for creating Java Project (those in File->New) just disappeared.

Removing and re-installing Eclipse didn't do any help.

[Solution]
The only solution I've found so far is replacing Eclipse 3.8 provided
by Ubuntu repository
with the latest release of Eclipse 4.2 downloaded from Eclipse official site.

Here are the instructions in brief.
1. Install Eclipse 3.8 and solve all dependencies
    $ sudo apt-get install eclipse
2. Backup old Eclipse 3.8
    $ sudo mv /usr/lib/eclipse /usr/lib/eclipse-old
3. Extract and put Eclipse 4.2 to where it should be
    $ tar -zxvf <LATEST_ECLIPSE_4.2_TAR_GZ_FILE>
    $ sudo mv eclipse /usr/lib/eclipse
4. Start Eclipse and install Groovy-Eclipse plugin
    Help->Install New Software...

--
chyiro (Ying-Rong Chen)

Re: Problem and solution when using plugin in Ubuntu 13.04

Andrew Eisenberg
Thanks for the tip.  We've had problems with the Ubuntu pre-packaged
Eclipse in the past.  I always recommend that people download Eclipse
from eclipse.org instead of using apt-get.

Also, when installing plugins we've had problems in the past if the
Eclipse directory is not writable by the current user.  So, I also
recommend that you install it into a writable location.