Problem with 2.7.2

Paul Bennett
I just installed 2.7.2 in Eclipse 3.7, I now get an incorrect compilation error which did not occur with 2.7.1

Description Resource Path Location Type
Groovy:The return type of java.lang.Object getItem(java.lang.Object) in com.vaadin.data.util.AbstractInMemoryContainer is incompatible with com.vaadin.data.Item getItem(java.lang.Object) in com.vaadin.data.Container TransactionExecutionForm.groovy /MetaWeb/src/main/groovy/com/metaficient/web/gui/forms Unknown Java Problem

The error refers to a 3rd party jar, vaadin 6.8.6.jar available from vaadin.com. The classes concerned are attached.

The problem seems to be with the generic declaration in AbstractInMemoryContainer. Even tho' the type parameter ITEMCLASS is declared to extend Item, the compiler sees this as java.lang.Object, and flags a conflict with the Container interface.

What is more  is that the error messages says the error occurs in one of my application classes that makes no reference to those classes (tho' they are used elsewhere). There is also no error indication shown in the file editor, but one is flagged in the Project Explorer

-pb

AbstractContainer.java (9K) Download Attachment
Container.java (42K) Download Attachment
AbstractInMemoryContainer.java (32K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with 2.7.2

Andrew Eisenberg
Thanks for this.  I'll take a look.

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Paul Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just installed 2.7.2 in Eclipse 3.7, I now get an incorrect compilation
> error which did not occur with 2.7.1
>
> Description Resource Path Location Type
> Groovy:The return type of java.lang.Object getItem(java.lang.Object) in
> com.vaadin.data.util.AbstractInMemoryContainer is incompatible with
> com.vaadin.data.Item getItem(java.lang.Object) in com.vaadin.data.Container
> TransactionExecutionForm.groovy
> /MetaWeb/src/main/groovy/com/metaficient/web/gui/forms Unknown Java Problem
>
> The error refers to a 3rd party jar, vaadin 6.8.6.jar available from
> vaadin.com. The classes concerned are attached.
>
> The problem seems to be with the generic declaration in
> AbstractInMemoryContainer. Even tho' the type parameter ITEMCLASS is
> declared to extend Item, the compiler sees this as java.lang.Object, and
> flags a conflict with the Container interface.
>
> What is more  is that the error messages says the error occurs in one of my
> application classes that makes no reference to those classes (tho' they are
> used elsewhere). There is also no error indication shown in the file editor,
> but one is flagged in the Project Explorer
>
> -pb

Re: Problem with 2.7.2

Paul Bennett
Andrew, thanks. Let me know if you want me to file a JIRA for this.

-pb

On Dec 20, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:

> Thanks for this.  I'll take a look.
>
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Paul Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just installed 2.7.2 in Eclipse 3.7, I now get an incorrect compilation
>> error which did not occur with 2.7.1
>>
>> Description Resource Path Location Type
>> Groovy:The return type of java.lang.Object getItem(java.lang.Object) in
>> com.vaadin.data.util.AbstractInMemoryContainer is incompatible with
>> com.vaadin.data.Item getItem(java.lang.Object) in com.vaadin.data.Container
>> TransactionExecutionForm.groovy
>> /MetaWeb/src/main/groovy/com/metaficient/web/gui/forms Unknown Java Problem
>>
>> The error refers to a 3rd party jar, vaadin 6.8.6.jar available from
>> vaadin.com. The classes concerned are attached.
>>
>> The problem seems to be with the generic declaration in
>> AbstractInMemoryContainer. Even tho' the type parameter ITEMCLASS is
>> declared to extend Item, the compiler sees this as java.lang.Object, and
>> flags a conflict with the Container interface.
>>
>> What is more  is that the error messages says the error occurs in one of my
>> application classes that makes no reference to those classes (tho' they are
>> used elsewhere). There is also no error indication shown in the file editor,
>> but one is flagged in the Project Explorer
>>
>> -pb

-pb

Re: Problem with 2.7.2

I created an issue for this. I isolated the problem to a much simpler
project without the vaadin dependency.  See this bug.
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1563