Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench

Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench

jezzabart
When I close Eclipse, this warnng message is displayed: "Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench".

Clicking on the details button displays: "Problems occurred during save", which doesn't give me much of a clue!

I hadn't used Eclipse since before Christmas and when I used it at the end of January there were several updates and since then I've been having this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas where I could start looking?  I've searcned online for a solution but the similar problems always have a more detailed "Details" message, referring to a specific file.

Re: Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench

Andrew Eisenberg
This means that an exception was thrown during shutdown.  Open your
workspace and open the error log: Window -> Show view -> other ->
error log.  Attatch the log here (or somewhere accessible) and I can
take a look.

Also, try restarting eclipse with the -clean option to clear out the
configuration area.  And then restarting again.  See if you continue
to get the problem (not a good idea to always run with the -clean
option, but a good idea to clear things out if you are having
problems).  http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fmisc%2Fruntime-options.html

If this doesn't help at all, please raise a jira:
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 4:57 AM, jezzabart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I close Eclipse, this warnng message is displayed: "Problems occurred
> while trying to save the state of the workbench".
>
> Clicking on the details button displays: "Problems occurred during save",
> which doesn't give me much of a clue!
>
> I hadn't used Eclipse since before Christmas and when I used it at the end
> of January there were several updates and since then I've been having this
> problem.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas where I could start looking?  I've searcned
> online for a solution but the similar problems always have a more detailed
> "Details" message, referring to a specific file.

Re: Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench

jezzabart
I tried the -clean option, but it didn't fix the problem.

I've attached the log.

Thank you for your help.

Eclipse Log.log (236K) Download Attachment

Re: Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench

Andrew Eisenberg
I see a bunch of errors like this:

!MESSAGE Could not write file: Y:\Documents\Technical\Programming,
Scripting, Macros, CLI\Groovy\Eclipse
Workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.jdt.core\.org.eclipse.jdt.core.external.folders\.project.
!STACK 0
java.io.FileNotFoundException: Y:\Documents\Technical\Programming,
Scripting, Macros, CLI\Groovy\Eclipse
Workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.jdt.core\.org.eclipse.jdt.core.external.folders\.project
(Access is denied)

Make sure that this file and all files in your .metadata are writable
by the current user.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Jeremy Bartle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried the -clean option, but it didn't fix the problem.
>
> I've attached the log.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>

> On 9 February 2013 00:39, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This means that an exception was thrown during shutdown.  Open your
>> workspace and open the error log: Window -> Show view -> other ->
>> error log.  Attatch the log here (or somewhere accessible) and I can
>> take a look.
>>
>> Also, try restarting eclipse with the -clean option to clear out the
>> configuration area.  And then restarting again.  See if you continue
>> to get the problem (not a good idea to always run with the -clean
>> option, but a good idea to clear things out if you are having
>> problems).
>> http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fmisc%2Fruntime-options.html
>>
>> If this doesn't help at all, please raise a jira:
>> https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 4:57 AM, jezzabart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > When I close Eclipse, this warnng message is displayed: "Problems
>> > occurred
>> > while trying to save the state of the workbench".
>> >
>> > Clicking on the details button displays: "Problems occurred during
>> > save",
>> > which doesn't give me much of a clue!
>> >
>> > I hadn't used Eclipse since before Christmas and when I used it at the
>> > end
>> > of January there were several updates and since then I've been having
>> > this
>> > problem.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any ideas where I could start looking?  I've searcned
>> > online for a solution but the similar problems always have a more
>> > detailed
>> > "Details" message, referring to a specific file.

Re: Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench

jezzabart
I've copied the Eclipse Workspace folder and all subfolders to the D: drive and then switched workspaces in Eclipse and that seems to have fixed the problem.

I don't really understand this, because Eclipse has no problem writing source files to the Y: drive, but I think it might be caused because the Y: drive is an encrypted Boxcryptor drive in my Skydrive folder?

Thank you for your help.

On 9 February 2013 13:37, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see a bunch of errors like this:

!MESSAGE Could not write file: Y:\Documents\Technical\Programming,
Scripting, Macros, CLI\Groovy\Eclipse
Workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.jdt.core\.org.eclipse.jdt.core.external.folders\.project.
!STACK 0
java.io.FileNotFoundException: Y:\Documents\Technical\Programming,
Scripting, Macros, CLI\Groovy\Eclipse
Workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.jdt.core\.org.eclipse.jdt.core.external.folders\.project
(Access is denied)

Make sure that this file and all files in your .metadata are writable
by the current user.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Jeremy Bartle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried the -clean option, but it didn't fix the problem.
>
> I've attached the log.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>

> On 9 February 2013 00:39, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This means that an exception was thrown during shutdown.  Open your
>> workspace and open the error log: Window -> Show view -> other ->
>> error log.  Attatch the log here (or somewhere accessible) and I can
>> take a look.
>>
>> Also, try restarting eclipse with the -clean option to clear out the
>> configuration area.  And then restarting again.  See if you continue
>> to get the problem (not a good idea to always run with the -clean
>> option, but a good idea to clear things out if you are having
>> problems).
>> http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fmisc%2Fruntime-options.html
>>
>> If this doesn't help at all, please raise a jira:
>> https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 4:57 AM, jezzabart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > When I close Eclipse, this warnng message is displayed: "Problems
>> > occurred
>> > while trying to save the state of the workbench".
>> >
>> > Clicking on the details button displays: "Problems occurred during
>> > save",
>> > which doesn't give me much of a clue!
>> >
>> > I hadn't used Eclipse since before Christmas and when I used it at the
>> > end
>> > of January there were several updates and since then I've been having
>> > this
>> > problem.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any ideas where I could start looking?  I've searcned
>> > online for a solution but the similar problems always have a more
>> > detailed
>> > "Details" message, referring to a specific file.

Re: Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench

Andrew Eisenberg
Not sure what the problem could have been.  Perhaps something about
dotted (eg- .project, .metadata, .plugins, ...) causes the encryptor
to make them read-only.  Or maybe eclipse is having trouble reading
the encrypted files.

Now that you are aware of the problem, if you see it again, you can
raise a bug with Boxcryptor or Eclipse.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM, Jeremy Bartle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've copied the Eclipse Workspace folder and all subfolders to the D: drive
> and then switched workspaces in Eclipse and that seems to have fixed the
> problem.
>
> I don't really understand this, because Eclipse has no problem writing
> source files to the Y: drive, but I think it might be caused because the Y:
> drive is an encrypted Boxcryptor drive in my Skydrive folder?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>

> On 9 February 2013 13:37, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I see a bunch of errors like this:
>>
>> !MESSAGE Could not write file: Y:\Documents\Technical\Programming,
>> Scripting, Macros, CLI\Groovy\Eclipse
>>
>> Workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.jdt.core\.org.eclipse.jdt.core.external.folders\.project.
>> !STACK 0
>> java.io.FileNotFoundException: Y:\Documents\Technical\Programming,
>> Scripting, Macros, CLI\Groovy\Eclipse
>>
>> Workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.jdt.core\.org.eclipse.jdt.core.external.folders\.project
>> (Access is denied)
>>
>> Make sure that this file and all files in your .metadata are writable
>> by the current user.
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Jeremy Bartle <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > I tried the -clean option, but it didn't fix the problem.
>> >
>> > I've attached the log.
>> >
>> > Thank you for your help.

Re: Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench

jezzabart
Just FYI, after some more research it turns out that the last update of BoxCryptor changed its default behaviour to mount the BoxCryptor drive for only the current user (previously, the drive was always visible to all users).  Thus, anything running as administrator can't see the drive.  I guess that Eclipse must run as administrator when saving the dotted files, but not when saving ordinary source files from the editor.  I have changed the setting to mount the drive for all users.

Thanks again for your help.