Re: [groovy-dev] Re: Repost: is there any groovy 1.8 compiler support in GREclipse 2.9?

Re: [groovy-dev] Re: Repost: is there any groovy 1.8 compiler support in GREclipse 2.9?

Guillaume Laforge
Adding Andy & Kris in CC.
I've been told the next release of GGTS should cover the latest & greatest Groovy, but they know better than me.

Guillaume

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 4:24 PM, davide_cavestro <[hidden email]> wrote:
After another week no replies from both groovy-dev and
groovy-eclipse-plugin-user list: any idea at all?

Guillaume Laforge-4 wrote
> CC the Eclipse list too.
>

> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 12:53 PM, davide_cavestro &lt;

> davide.cavestro@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> I've  asked more than a month ago
>> <
>> http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/Will-GREclipse-2-9-still-support-groovy-1-8-compiler-td5719260.html
>> >
>> the same on the users mailing list, but I got no response, so I'm writing
>> on
>> the dev one.
>> When I try to install groovy 2.3 feature, this would remove the groovy
>> 1.8
>> compiler I had previously installed, and I see no new packages for this
>> feature.
>> I've tried both from snapshots and milestone update site (i.e.
>> http://dist.springsource.org/milestone/GRECLIPSE/e4.3/ )
>> Is it my fault or the groovy 1.8 support was dropped? Till now I managed
>> switch workspace in order to work on a branch that needs a different
>> groovy
>> version, but now upgrading greclipse it's becoming quite cumbersome.
>> BTW I'd need both groovy 2.3 support for  GROOVY-5981
>> &lt;https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GROOVY-5981&gt;   and groovy 1.8
>> support
>> for
>> old branches.
>> I'm using GGTS upgraded to 3.5.1
>>

>> --

> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> Pivotal, Inc.
>
> Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
> Social: @glaforge &lt;http://twitter.com/glaforge&gt; /
> Google+&lt;https://plus.google.com/u/0/114130972232398734985/posts&gt;

Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
Pivotal, Inc.

Re: [groovy-dev] Re: Repost: is there any groovy 1.8 compiler support in GREclipse 2.9?

Kris De Volder
There were/are no plans to keep supporting Groovy 1.8 in future Greclipse releases.
Our team is overloaded trying to maintain too many different versions of Grails, Groovy, AspectJ tooling on too many different versions of Eclipse platform and JVM. Some things just have to give. Groovy 1.8 is really quite old now and so it was decided that would be one of the things we are dropping support for.

If you really have to use Groovy 1.8 you will have to use an old version of Greclipse.

I you need to use both Groovy 1.8 and 2.3 I'm afraid you will have to use two separate instance of Eclipse for each.

Sorry, I understand this is probably not the answer you wanted.

Kris

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 7:35 AM, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Adding Andy & Kris in CC.
I've been told the next release of GGTS should cover the latest & greatest Groovy, but they know better than me.

Guillaume

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 4:24 PM, davide_cavestro <[hidden email]> wrote:
After another week no replies from both groovy-dev and
groovy-eclipse-plugin-user list: any idea at all?

Guillaume Laforge-4 wrote

> CC the Eclipse list too.
>

> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 12:53 PM, davide_cavestro &lt;

> davide.cavestro@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> I've  asked more than a month ago
>> <
>> http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/Will-GREclipse-2-9-still-support-groovy-1-8-compiler-td5719260.html
>> >
>> the same on the users mailing list, but I got no response, so I'm writing
>> on
>> the dev one.
>> When I try to install groovy 2.3 feature, this would remove the groovy
>> 1.8
>> compiler I had previously installed, and I see no new packages for this
>> feature.
>> I've tried both from snapshots and milestone update site (i.e.
>> http://dist.springsource.org/milestone/GRECLIPSE/e4.3/ )
>> Is it my fault or the groovy 1.8 support was dropped? Till now I managed
>> switch workspace in order to work on a branch that needs a different
>> groovy
>> version, but now upgrading greclipse it's becoming quite cumbersome.
>> BTW I'd need both groovy 2.3 support for  GROOVY-5981
>> &lt;https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GROOVY-5981&gt;   and groovy 1.8

>> support
>> for
>> old branches.
>> I'm using GGTS upgraded to 3.5.1
>>

>> --

> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> Pivotal, Inc.
>
> Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
> Social: @glaforge &lt;http://twitter.com/glaforge&gt; /
> Google+&lt;https://plus.google.com/u/0/114130972232398734985/posts&gt;

Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
Pivotal, Inc.

Re: [groovy-dev] Re: Repost: is there any groovy 1.8 compiler support in GREclipse 2.9?

Kris De Volder
Davide,

Actually... we reconsidered becaus you and Mauro have been very helpful to us in the past. So we decided to see how much work it is to put 1.8 compiler back into the build. It didn't take that long and so you will see the 1.8 compiler back on the snapshot update site now.

However... we can not make any guarantees how well it works with the current Greclipse. In fact we know there are definitely some API changes that would make it really not compatible with current greclipse. You may not have any problems with it, or you may, it really depends on whether calls to these 'missing API' in 1.8 gets hit at runtime, which depends precisely on what you do.

Hopefully this works for you, but if it doesn't unfortunately we can't really spend much time on fixing issues around 1.8 compatibility.

Kris