code completion + hover: doc not shown for enums

code completion + hover: doc not shown for enums

Jayet, Patrick
Hi all,

I have found another issue wrt code completion: apparently the Groovy Editor does not show the groovydoc/javadoc for a Java or Groovy enums, (1) when a certain enum member is shown in the code completion and (2) when we hover over an enum member already written in the code.

Example:

  enum Foo {
   /** hallo 123 */
   HALLO,
   /** welt 123 */
   WELT;
  }
  Foo.// ctrl + space (1)
  Foo.HALLO // (2)

At the point (1) we see a list of proposals for members of Foo, but no groovy doc is shown for a particular one. The same happens with Java enums. (Greclipse version 2.1.2). At (2), we see no groovydoc of HALLO, when the mouse is over it.

I suppose, it is a bug, is'nt it? Should I file a Jira?

Thanks.
Cheers,

Patrick

Re: code completion + hover: doc not shown for enums

Andrew Eisenberg
I am not seeing exactly the bug you are describing, but I think I know
what is going on.

You are correct in that there are no hovers for the enum.  This is a
bug and it may be related to how we parse javadocs in groovy files.
If you define  your enum in Java, then the problem goes away, or at
least that's what I am seeing on 2.5.0.

I'll file a bug for what i have seen.  If you are still seeing
something different on 2.5.0, then we should look into it more deeply.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:43 AM, Jayet, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have found another issue wrt code completion: apparently the Groovy Editor does not show the groovydoc/javadoc for a Java or Groovy enums, (1) when a certain enum member is shown in the code completion and (2) when we hover over an enum member already written in the code.
>
> Example:
>
>  enum Foo {
>   /** hallo 123 */
>   HALLO,
>   /** welt 123 */
>   WELT;
>  }
>  Foo.// ctrl + space (1)
>  Foo.HALLO // (2)
>
> At the point (1) we see a list of proposals for members of Foo, but no groovy doc is shown for a particular one. The same happens with Java enums. (Greclipse version 2.1.2). At (2), we see no groovydoc of HALLO, when the mouse is over it.
>
> I suppose, it is a bug, is'nt it? Should I file a Jira?
>
> Thanks.
> Cheers,
>
> Patrick

Re: code completion + hover: doc not shown for enums

Andrew Eisenberg
I raised this:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1072

Feel free to add a new comment if you are seeing different behavior.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not seeing exactly the bug you are describing, but I think I know
> what is going on.
>
> You are correct in that there are no hovers for the enum.  This is a
> bug and it may be related to how we parse javadocs in groovy files.
> If you define  your enum in Java, then the problem goes away, or at
> least that's what I am seeing on 2.5.0.
>
> I'll file a bug for what i have seen.  If you are still seeing
> something different on 2.5.0, then we should look into it more deeply.
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:43 AM, Jayet, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have found another issue wrt code completion: apparently the Groovy Editor does not show the groovydoc/javadoc for a Java or Groovy enums, (1) when a certain enum member is shown in the code completion and (2) when we hover over an enum member already written in the code.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>>  enum Foo {
>>   /** hallo 123 */
>>   HALLO,
>>   /** welt 123 */
>>   WELT;
>>  }
>>  Foo.// ctrl + space (1)
>>  Foo.HALLO // (2)
>>
>> At the point (1) we see a list of proposals for members of Foo, but no groovy doc is shown for a particular one. The same happens with Java enums. (Greclipse version 2.1.2). At (2), we see no groovydoc of HALLO, when the mouse is over it.
>>
>> I suppose, it is a bug, is'nt it? Should I file a Jira?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Patrick

Re: code completion + hover: doc not shown for enums

Andy Clement
This is now fixed, but only in the 1.8.0 compiler, not the 1.7 compiler.

Andy

On 1 June 2011 08:48, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I raised this:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1072
>
> Feel free to add a new comment if you are seeing different behavior.
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am not seeing exactly the bug you are describing, but I think I know
>> what is going on.
>>
>> You are correct in that there are no hovers for the enum.  This is a
>> bug and it may be related to how we parse javadocs in groovy files.
>> If you define  your enum in Java, then the problem goes away, or at
>> least that's what I am seeing on 2.5.0.
>>
>> I'll file a bug for what i have seen.  If you are still seeing
>> something different on 2.5.0, then we should look into it more deeply.
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:43 AM, Jayet, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have found another issue wrt code completion: apparently the Groovy Editor does not show the groovydoc/javadoc for a Java or Groovy enums, (1) when a certain enum member is shown in the code completion and (2) when we hover over an enum member already written in the code.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>>  enum Foo {
>>>   /** hallo 123 */
>>>   HALLO,
>>>   /** welt 123 */
>>>   WELT;
>>>  }
>>>  Foo.// ctrl + space (1)
>>>  Foo.HALLO // (2)
>>>
>>> At the point (1) we see a list of proposals for members of Foo, but no groovy doc is shown for a particular one. The same happens with Java enums. (Greclipse version 2.1.2). At (2), we see no groovydoc of HALLO, when the mouse is over it.
>>>
>>> I suppose, it is a bug, is'nt it? Should I file a Jira?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Patrick

AW: [groovy-eclipse-plugin-user] code completion + hover: doc not shown for enums

Jayet, Patrick
Hi Andy,

Excellent job (1.8 is fine)! Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Patrick