default groovy imports

Carl Parisi
Hi,

I am interested in specifying default imports for groovy scripts with
the eclipse plugin.
I think issue GRECLIPSE-1097 is similar to this (but it does not need to
be DSLD)

I have been looking at the code in the plugin and noticed that there is
a member in
the class CompilerOptions called "groovyExtraImports"
It does almost what I need, but I cannot figure out how to set the
member. Is this feature supported by anything?

Thanks,

-Carl

Re: default groovy imports

Andrew Eisenberg
Hi Carl,

groovyExtraImports is an experimental feature and not quite ready for
wide exposure.  However, you are welcome to use it and kick the tires
if you like.  Feedback would be appreciated.

To set your extra imports, add the following system property to your
eclipse.ini or GGTS.ini (after the -vmargs line):

-Dgreclipse.extraimports=some.pack.*

replace some.pack.* with a comma separated list of imports static
imports are not supported.  The caveat is that this setting applies to
all groovy classes in all  projects in your workspace.  If something
like this is useful, we will be able to configure this on a
per-project basis.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in specifying default imports for groovy scripts with the
> eclipse plugin.
> I think issue GRECLIPSE-1097 is similar to this (but it does not need to be
> DSLD)
>
> I have been looking at the code in the plugin and noticed that there is a
> member in
> the class CompilerOptions called "groovyExtraImports"
> It does almost what I need, but I cannot figure out how to set the member.
> Is this feature supported by anything?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Carl

Re: default groovy imports

Carl Parisi
Andrew,

Thanks, that works like a charm!

The groovyExtraImports in conjunction with DSLD gives me almost what I need.
My next stumbling block is that I need the groovyExtraImports to support groovy aliasing.
As a test, I modified the groovyExtraImports code in the groovy plugin to support aliasing and it seems to work great.

In fact, it would be great if the groovyExtraImports could be built from a groovy ImportCustomizer class.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Carl,

groovyExtraImports is an experimental feature and not quite ready for
wide exposure.  However, you are welcome to use it and kick the tires
if you like.  Feedback would be appreciated.

To set your extra imports, add the following system property to your
eclipse.ini or GGTS.ini (after the -vmargs line):

-Dgreclipse.extraimports=some.pack.*

replace some.pack.* with a comma separated list of imports static
imports are not supported.  The caveat is that this setting applies to
all groovy classes in all  projects in your workspace.  If something
like this is useful, we will be able to configure this on a
per-project basis.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am interested in specifying default imports for groovy scripts with the
> eclipse plugin.
> I think issue GRECLIPSE-1097 is similar to this (but it does not need to be
> DSLD)
>
> I have been looking at the code in the plugin and noticed that there is a
> member in
> the class CompilerOptions called "groovyExtraImports"
> It does almost what I need, but I cannot figure out how to set the member.
> Is this feature supported by anything?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Carl

Re: default groovy imports

Andrew Eisenberg
Can you submit the change as a pull request?  If it looks good, we'll
incorporate it into the build.

My main concern about groovyExtraImports is time.  The more dynamic we
are, the longer it takes to construct.  And Eclipse doesn't just need
this for compiles (which happen on every save), it also needs these
things for reconcile operations (which determines error markers as you
type).  If you think you have a solution, I'd take a look at it as a
pull request.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 5:17 AM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Thanks, that works like a charm!
>
> The groovyExtraImports in conjunction with DSLD gives me almost what I need.
> My next stumbling block is that I need the groovyExtraImports to support
> groovy aliasing.
> As a test, I modified the groovyExtraImports code in the groovy plugin to
> support aliasing and it seems to work great.
>
> In fact, it would be great if the groovyExtraImports could be built from a
> groovy ImportCustomizer class.
>

> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Carl,
>>
>> groovyExtraImports is an experimental feature and not quite ready for
>> wide exposure.  However, you are welcome to use it and kick the tires
>> if you like.  Feedback would be appreciated.
>>
>> To set your extra imports, add the following system property to your
>> eclipse.ini or GGTS.ini (after the -vmargs line):
>>
>> -Dgreclipse.extraimports=some.pack.*
>>
>> replace some.pack.* with a comma separated list of imports static
>> imports are not supported.  The caveat is that this setting applies to
>> all groovy classes in all  projects in your workspace.  If something
>> like this is useful, we will be able to configure this on a
>> per-project basis.
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am interested in specifying default imports for groovy scripts with
>> > the
>> > eclipse plugin.
>> > I think issue GRECLIPSE-1097 is similar to this (but it does not need to
>> > be
>> > DSLD)
>> >
>> > I have been looking at the code in the plugin and noticed that there is
>> > member in
>> > the class CompilerOptions called "groovyExtraImports"
>> > It does almost what I need, but I cannot figure out how to set the
>> > member.
>> > Is this feature supported by anything?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > -Carl

Re: default groovy imports

Carl Parisi

I am pretty new to git, is there some quick info on how to create a pull
request?
I am currently using the command line git.

On 1/3/2013 11:48 AM, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:

> Can you submit the change as a pull request?  If it looks good, we'll
> incorporate it into the build.
>
> My main concern about groovyExtraImports is time.  The more dynamic we
> are, the longer it takes to construct.  And Eclipse doesn't just need
> this for compiles (which happen on every save), it also needs these
> things for reconcile operations (which determines error markers as you
> type).  If you think you have a solution, I'd take a look at it as a
> pull request.
>
> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 5:17 AM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Andrew,
>>
>> Thanks, that works like a charm!
>>
>> The groovyExtraImports in conjunction with DSLD gives me almost what I need.
>> My next stumbling block is that I need the groovyExtraImports to support
>> groovy aliasing.
>> As a test, I modified the groovyExtraImports code in the groovy plugin to
>> support aliasing and it seems to work great.
>>
>> In fact, it would be great if the groovyExtraImports could be built from a
>> groovy ImportCustomizer class.
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi Carl,
>>>
>>> groovyExtraImports is an experimental feature and not quite ready for
>>> wide exposure.  However, you are welcome to use it and kick the tires
>>> if you like.  Feedback would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> To set your extra imports, add the following system property to your
>>> eclipse.ini or GGTS.ini (after the -vmargs line):
>>>
>>> -Dgreclipse.extraimports=some.pack.*
>>>
>>> replace some.pack.* with a comma separated list of imports static
>>> imports are not supported.  The caveat is that this setting applies to
>>> all groovy classes in all  projects in your workspace.  If something
>>> like this is useful, we will be able to configure this on a
>>> per-project basis.

Re: default groovy imports

Andrew Eisenberg
Have a look at this help guide:
https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests

First, fork the greclipse repo on github.  Then clone it locally.
Make your changes, commit, and then push back to your remote repo.
From there, you can submit a pull request with just a button click.

If you already have cloned the original repo w/o forking, then it's
still possible to add your forked repo. Just a simple step.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am pretty new to git, is there some quick info on how to create a pull
> request?
> I am currently using the command line git.
>

> On 1/3/2013 11:48 AM, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:
>>
>> Can you submit the change as a pull request?  If it looks good, we'll
>> incorporate it into the build.
>>
>> My main concern about groovyExtraImports is time.  The more dynamic we
>> are, the longer it takes to construct.  And Eclipse doesn't just need
>> this for compiles (which happen on every save), it also needs these
>> things for reconcile operations (which determines error markers as you
>> type).  If you think you have a solution, I'd take a look at it as a
>> pull request.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 5:17 AM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Andrew,
>>>
>>> Thanks, that works like a charm!
>>>
>>> The groovyExtraImports in conjunction with DSLD gives me almost what I
>>> need.
>>> My next stumbling block is that I need the groovyExtraImports to support
>>> groovy aliasing.
>>> As a test, I modified the groovyExtraImports code in the groovy plugin to
>>> support aliasing and it seems to work great.
>>>
>>> In fact, it would be great if the groovyExtraImports could be built from
>>> groovy ImportCustomizer class.

>>      http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: default groovy imports

Carl Parisi
I sent the pull request. (although it considered all my .classpath files changed)
Thanks for the info.

I am developing my own plugin, so if I had a way to set the groovyExtraImports programmatically that would be great.

-Carl

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have a look at this help guide:
https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests

First, fork the greclipse repo on github.  Then clone it locally.
Make your changes, commit, and then push back to your remote repo.
From there, you can submit a pull request with just a button click.

If you already have cloned the original repo w/o forking, then it's
still possible to add your forked repo. Just a simple step.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am pretty new to git, is there some quick info on how to create a pull
> request?
> I am currently using the command line git.
>

> On 1/3/2013 11:48 AM, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:
>>
>> Can you submit the change as a pull request?  If it looks good, we'll
>> incorporate it into the build.
>>
>> My main concern about groovyExtraImports is time.  The more dynamic we
>> are, the longer it takes to construct.  And Eclipse doesn't just need
>> this for compiles (which happen on every save), it also needs these
>> things for reconcile operations (which determines error markers as you
>> type).  If you think you have a solution, I'd take a look at it as a
>> pull request.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 5:17 AM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Andrew,
>>>
>>> Thanks, that works like a charm!
>>>
>>> The groovyExtraImports in conjunction with DSLD gives me almost what I
>>> need.
>>> My next stumbling block is that I need the groovyExtraImports to support
>>> groovy aliasing.
>>> As a test, I modified the groovyExtraImports code in the groovy plugin to
>>> support aliasing and it seems to work great.
>>>
>>> In fact, it would be great if the groovyExtraImports could be built from
>>> groovy ImportCustomizer class.

>>      http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: default groovy imports

Andrew Eisenberg
Thanks for the pull request.  I'll take a look at ti tomorrow.

In general, you do not need to commit all changed files.  You should
only commit the changed files that are relevant for the issue you are
fixing.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I sent the pull request. (although it considered all my .classpath files
> changed)
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I am developing my own plugin, so if I had a way to set the
> groovyExtraImports programmatically that would be great.
>
> -Carl
>

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Have a look at this help guide:
>> https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests
>>
>> First, fork the greclipse repo on github.  Then clone it locally.
>> Make your changes, commit, and then push back to your remote repo.
>> From there, you can submit a pull request with just a button click.
>>
>> If you already have cloned the original repo w/o forking, then it's
>> still possible to add your forked repo. Just a simple step.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am pretty new to git, is there some quick info on how to create a pull
>> > request?
>> > I am currently using the command line git.

Re: default groovy imports

Carl Parisi
Thanks Andrew.

I was attempting to only check in only the 2 files needed, but my commit did not operate on the current directory like I expected, instead it committed the whole project, even though my current directory was the location of the changed files.

 Do I need to specify the commit files on the command line?

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the pull request.  I'll take a look at ti tomorrow.

In general, you do not need to commit all changed files.  You should
only commit the changed files that are relevant for the issue you are
fixing.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I sent the pull request. (although it considered all my .classpath files
> changed)
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I am developing my own plugin, so if I had a way to set the
> groovyExtraImports programmatically that would be great.
>
> -Carl
>

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Have a look at this help guide:
>> https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests
>>
>> First, fork the greclipse repo on github.  Then clone it locally.
>> Make your changes, commit, and then push back to your remote repo.
>> From there, you can submit a pull request with just a button click.
>>
>> If you already have cloned the original repo w/o forking, then it's
>> still possible to add your forked repo. Just a simple step.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am pretty new to git, is there some quick info on how to create a pull
>> > request?
>> > I am currently using the command line git.

Re: default groovy imports

Andrew Eisenberg
You can specify files explicitly.  Or you can just do git stage . for all files.

However, I like using egit and gitx for a nice UI over git.  Doesn't
work for all operations, but at least it does for the most common
workflows.

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 3:52 AM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Andrew.
>
> I was attempting to only check in only the 2 files needed, but my commit did
> not operate on the current directory like I expected, instead it committed
> the whole project, even though my current directory was the location of the
> changed files.
>
>  Do I need to specify the commit files on the command line?
>

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the pull request.  I'll take a look at ti tomorrow.
>>
>> In general, you do not need to commit all changed files.  You should
>> only commit the changed files that are relevant for the issue you are
>> fixing.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > I sent the pull request. (although it considered all my .classpath files
>> > changed)
>> > Thanks for the info.
>> >
>> > I am developing my own plugin, so if I had a way to set the
>> > groovyExtraImports programmatically that would be great.
>> >
>> > -Carl

Re: default groovy imports

Pull request is merged.  Thanks.

There isn't any UI for adding the option programmatically, but there
might be a back door to add it through property settings.  Let me have
a look.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I sent the pull request. (although it considered all my .classpath files
> changed)
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I am developing my own plugin, so if I had a way to set the
> groovyExtraImports programmatically that would be great.
>
> -Carl
>

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Have a look at this help guide:
>> https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests
>>
>> First, fork the greclipse repo on github.  Then clone it locally.
>> Make your changes, commit, and then push back to your remote repo.
>> From there, you can submit a pull request with just a button click.
>>
>> If you already have cloned the original repo w/o forking, then it's
>> still possible to add your forked repo. Just a simple step.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am pretty new to git, is there some quick info on how to create a pull
>> > request?
>> > I am currently using the command line git.

Re: default groovy imports

Andrew Eisenberg
Take a look at https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1569

What I'm working on right now is the ability to set project
preferences and have these project preferences affect the compilation
of groovy files in groovy projects.  Eg-

eg, in the .settings/org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs file, add something like:

org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.groovy.groovyExtraImports=some.pack.*

If you want to add the preference programmatically, you just need to
do something like this:

                ProjectScope scope = new ProjectScope(proj);
                IEclipsePreferences node = scope.getNode(JavaCore.PLUGIN_ID);
                node.put(CompilerOptions.OPTIONG_GroovyExtraImports, "some.pack.*");
                node.flush();

You also need to make sure that the project is using

And that package will be added as a default import.  This is committed
yet, but I will soon.  Once you play around with that, then I can
think about adding some UI.

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pull request is merged.  Thanks.
>
> There isn't any UI for adding the option programmatically, but there
> might be a back door to add it through property settings.  Let me have
> a look.
>

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I sent the pull request. (although it considered all my .classpath files
>> changed)
>> Thanks for the info.
>>
>> I am developing my own plugin, so if I had a way to set the
>> groovyExtraImports programmatically that would be great.
>>
>> -Carl
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Have a look at this help guide:
>>> https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests
>>>
>>> First, fork the greclipse repo on github.  Then clone it locally.
>>> Make your changes, commit, and then push back to your remote repo.
>>> From there, you can submit a pull request with just a button click.
>>>
>>> If you already have cloned the original repo w/o forking, then it's
>>> still possible to add your forked repo. Just a simple step.

Re: default groovy imports

Carl Parisi
Thanks Andrew, this is great!

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Take a look at https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1569

What I'm working on right now is the ability to set project
preferences and have these project preferences affect the compilation
of groovy files in groovy projects.  Eg-

eg, in the .settings/org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs file, add something like:

org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.groovy.groovyExtraImports=some.pack.*

If you want to add the preference programmatically, you just need to
do something like this:

                ProjectScope scope = new ProjectScope(proj);
                IEclipsePreferences node = scope.getNode(JavaCore.PLUGIN_ID);
                node.put(CompilerOptions.OPTIONG_GroovyExtraImports, "some.pack.*");
                node.flush();

You also need to make sure that the project is using

And that package will be added as a default import.  This is committed
yet, but I will soon.  Once you play around with that, then I can
think about adding some UI.

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Pull request is merged.  Thanks.
>
> There isn't any UI for adding the option programmatically, but there
> might be a back door to add it through property settings.  Let me have
> a look.
>

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I sent the pull request. (although it considered all my .classpath files
>> changed)
>> Thanks for the info.
>>
>> I am developing my own plugin, so if I had a way to set the
>> groovyExtraImports programmatically that would be great.
>>
>> -Carl
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Have a look at this help guide:
>>> https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests
>>>
>>> First, fork the greclipse repo on github.  Then clone it locally.
>>> Make your changes, commit, and then push back to your remote repo.
>>> From there, you can submit a pull request with just a button click.
>>>
>>> If you already have cloned the original repo w/o forking, then it's
>>> still possible to add your forked repo. Just a simple step.

Re: default groovy imports

Carl Parisi
Andrew, the groovyExtraImports is working great for me thanks.

Andrew, the groovyExtraImports is working well, thanks.

Is there a way for the groovy plugin to create a separate GroovyClassLoader for each groovy script a project?

I am writing a plugin and I want each groovy script to be independent from the others, so that duplicate class names do not display as errors.
Also, I would like to have each GroovyClassLoader to have its own optional classpath, which is defined by an annotation.

Please let me know If any of this sounds possible with the current code.

Thanks,

-Carl

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Take a look at https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1569

What I'm working on right now is the ability to set project
preferences and have these project preferences affect the compilation
of groovy files in groovy projects.  Eg-

eg, in the .settings/org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs file, add something like:

org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.groovy.groovyExtraImports=some.pack.*

If you want to add the preference programmatically, you just need to
do something like this:

                ProjectScope scope = new ProjectScope(proj);
                IEclipsePreferences node = scope.getNode(JavaCore.PLUGIN_ID);
                node.put(CompilerOptions.OPTIONG_GroovyExtraImports, "some.pack.*");
                node.flush();

You also need to make sure that the project is using

And that package will be added as a default import.  This is committed
yet, but I will soon.  Once you play around with that, then I can
think about adding some UI.

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Pull request is merged.  Thanks.
>
> There isn't any UI for adding the option programmatically, but there
> might be a back door to add it through property settings.  Let me have
> a look.
>

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I sent the pull request. (although it considered all my .classpath files
>> changed)
>> Thanks for the info.
>>
>> I am developing my own plugin, so if I had a way to set the
>> groovyExtraImports programmatically that would be great.
>>
>> -Carl
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Have a look at this help guide:
>>> https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests
>>>
>>> First, fork the greclipse repo on github.  Then clone it locally.
>>> Make your changes, commit, and then push back to your remote repo.
>>> From there, you can submit a pull request with just a button click.
>>>
>>> If you already have cloned the original repo w/o forking, then it's
>>> still possible to add your forked repo. Just a simple step.

Re: default groovy imports

Andrew Eisenberg
This is a non-trivial change.  We would need to make large changes
deep in the JDT and org.eclipse.core.resources plugins for this to
work properly.  We briefly looked into this for supporting editing of
*.gradle files using a separate classpath even though in the same
project.  We dropped the idea after seeing how much we'd need to
change.

I can suggest two things:

1. remove these scripts from the classpath.  You'd lose some
functionality, but at least you would be able to have all them in the
same project and you would still get some basic reconciling and
navigation support.
2. (and this is quite a bit trickier) use resource filters and
synthetic projects to build a project for each script.  In the package
explorer, you'd see all the scripts as different projects, but you can
create a common navigator view to put them all together.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Carl Parisi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andrew, the groovyExtraImports is working great for me thanks.
>
> Andrew, the groovyExtraImports is working well, thanks.
>
> Is there a way for the groovy plugin to create a separate GroovyClassLoader
> for each groovy script a project?
>
> I am writing a plugin and I want each groovy script to be independent from
> the others, so that duplicate class names do not display as errors.
> Also, I would like to have each GroovyClassLoader to have its own optional
> classpath, which is defined by an annotation.
>
> Please let me know If any of this sounds possible with the current code.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Carl
>

> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Take a look at https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1569
>>
>> What I'm working on right now is the ability to set project
>> preferences and have these project preferences affect the compilation
>> of groovy files in groovy projects.  Eg-
>>
>> eg, in the .settings/org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs file, add something like:
>>
>> org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.groovy.groovyExtraImports=some.pack.*
>>
>> If you want to add the preference programmatically, you just need to
>> do something like this:
>>
>>                 ProjectScope scope = new ProjectScope(proj);
>>                 IEclipsePreferences node =
>> scope.getNode(JavaCore.PLUGIN_ID);
>>                 node.put(CompilerOptions.OPTIONG_GroovyExtraImports,
>> "some.pack.*");
>>                 node.flush();
>>
>> You also need to make sure that the project is using
>>
>> And that package will be added as a default import.  This is committed
>> yet, but I will soon.  Once you play around with that, then I can
>> think about adding some UI.
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Pull request is merged.  Thanks.
>> >
>> > There isn't any UI for adding the option programmatically, but there
>> > might be a back door to add it through property settings.  Let me have
>> > a look.

Re: default groovy imports

Carl Parisi
Thanks for the input. I will investigate your suggestions.

I have one last stumbling block. I have my own annotation that dynamically loads jar files (similar to the Grape Grab annotation) .  I have been trying to understand how the Grab is implemented to see if I can implement something similar... any pointers here?

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> If you want to add the preference programmatically, you just need to
>> do something like this:
>>
>>                 ProjectScope scope = new ProjectScope(proj);
>>                 IEclipsePreferences node =
>> scope.getNode(JavaCore.PLUGIN_ID);
>>                 node.put(CompilerOptions.OPTIONG_GroovyExtraImports,
>> "some.pack.*");
>>                 node.flush();
>>
>> You also need to make sure that the project is using
>>
>> And that package will be added as a default import.  This is committed
>> yet, but I will soon.  Once you play around with that, then I can
>> think about adding some UI.
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Pull request is merged.  Thanks.
>> >
>> > There isn't any UI for adding the option programmatically, but there
>> > might be a back door to add it through property settings.  Let me have

This kind of question would be better asked on the groovy-user's
mailing list.  I don't have much experience with how grab is
implemented.  I do know that there are still situations in
groovy-eclipse that are not fully supported.

See here: http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+GRECLIPSE+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+labels+%3D+grab

Grab is supported in groovy-eclipse through a compiler option:
CompilerOptions.OPTIONG_GroovyClassLoaderPath.  This option is set
based on the grab annotations found in groovy scripts.