downloads are not completing - Install of greclipse is stalled

downloads are not completing - Install of greclipse is stalled

Tom Callaghan
Hi,

I am trying to install greclipse for kepler and the installs just keep failing for stalled file downloads.

I have tried the release version (http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.3/) the snapshot version (http://dist.springsource.org/snapshot/GRECLIPSE/e4.3/) and even downloaded the dev archive and tried that one also.

The release version stalls at the same spot as the snapshot version.  Here is the details message in the install window:
Installing Software: Fetching org.eclipse.jdt.ui.source_3.9.2v20131106-1600.jar from http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/eclipse/eclipse/updates/4.3/R-4.3.2-201402211700/plugins/

The archive version stalls with this detail message:
Installing Software: Fetching org.eclipse.jdt.doc.user_3.9.1v20140205-0929.jar.pack.gz from http://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/eclipse/eclipse/updates/4.3/R-4.3.2-201402211700/plugins/ (3.09kB of 6.7MB at 0B/s)

I am attaching screenshots if that is useful.

Can anyone tell me how to get past this and get these installed?  Is this an issue on the hosting servers or do I have some kind of setting that I would need to tweak in my eclipse?    I am following the instructions as written.

I do have an Epic plugin to run Perl in eclipse already installed (in case that info could be relevant in any way).

Also, I have been trying this at various times over the last several days with the same outcome always.  The install never completes because a file download is stalled.  Help!

Thank you,

Tom Callaghan

EclipseGroovyPluginInstall-Stalled.png (203K) Download Attachment

Re: downloads are not completing - Install of greclipse is stalled

Andrew Eisenberg-2
It might be that p2 (the installer) is trying to be too smart for its own good and trying to update some other installed plugins.  Next time you try to install, de-select "contact all update sites..." from the install dialog.  This should prevent trying to update your version of JDT.

That being said, I don't know why you are getting a stalled download.  I can only suggest the above as a possible workaround.

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Tom Callaghan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that advice because it eventually worked but only when I used the downloaded archive zip.  De-selecting 'contact all update sites' at first seemed to improve the process as it made it further on the progress percentage, but it ultimately failed with a positive failure (instead of just remaining a hung download window which it was doing previously).

By positive failure, I mean that the install ended with a dialog stating there were errors in the install. The messages were all some form of:
'Unable to read repository at http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.3/plugins/org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.codeassist.completion.test.source_2.8.0.xx-20130703-1600-e43-RELEASE.jar.'
Read timed out

This error happened on many files.

I tell you this because it seems (to me) like an issue with the server hosting the files and it's inability to respond.  Is the file in that location?  Let me know if you want the full list of error messages I received, I did save them.

Another note, I tried on the Release site with only the reguired Groovy-Eclipse package selected and this resulted in the install ending with errors like the one included above.

I was able to install the required and SDK pkgs when using the archive file and contact all update sites Unchecked.

Again thanks for advising me how to get past this,

Tom Callaghan