eclipse plug-in breaks helios?

bill turner

Sorry if this seems a noob question, but I have not found an answer elsewhere
and am not sure what is going on. After installing the groovy eclipse
plug-in, eclipse no longer seems to recognize my projects as being java, nor
do I have the capability of creating a java project. I've been able to
revert, but as I want to show off groovy to my team, this is a bit
embarrassing. I have tried a number of web searches, though have yet to find
any answers. I am not able to set my projects to Java nor convert to Groovy. I do not have options for creating java classes, nor groovy classes.

1. is your Eclipse installed in a read-only directory?
It is installed on Windows XP SP3. Windows dirs are always "read-only" and never really are.

2. Are you behind a firewall?
I am. I have been able to install other plug-ins, though. And, this plug-in shows up as installed.

3. Are there any relevant errors in your error log?
Nothing that seems related, no.

4. When you go to Eclipse -> About Eclipse SDK, and look at installed software, does Groovy-Eclipse come up?
Yes (well, I have since reverted).

5. In your plugins directory, what version of org.eclipse.jdt.core is installed?
org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.6.1.v_A68_R36x.jar

-----
Bill Turner
http://www.changent.com Groovy / Grails Talk
http://us.gr8conf.org GR8 in the US
-----
An innovative Software Development Professional, Bill Turner is the co-founder and Principal Organizer for GR8 in the US, a conference on Groovy, Grails, Griffon and related technologies. He has worked in companies from emerging startups to Fortune 500s, and has consulted and lived internationally. The majority of his 30 plus years in the software development industry has been spent as a consultant, with 75% of the business being repeat/referral business. He has collaborated closely with individuals at every level of the organization and has performed a wide variety of roles. He knows software development. He understands business. He helps companies succeed.

Re: eclipse plug-in breaks helios?

Andrew Eisenberg
Hi Bill,

It still does look like the original install did not complete successfully.  The version of jdt core should look something like this: org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.6.1.xx-20101027-1400-e36.jar. It should be the same version number as the rest of the groovy plugins since we ship with a patched version of the jdt core plugin.

However, you did say that you reverted your configuration.  After reverting, did your eclipse's behavior return to normal?  Can you try reinstalling?  Can you try installing on a fresh Eclipse?

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 8:00 AM, bill turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The behavior did return to normal. And, I have tried re-installing.

I am overloaded right at the moment, so this will have to wait several hours before I can attempt again.

--
Bill Turner

Blog : Groovy/Grails Talk - http://www.changent.com
GR8 in the US conference - http://us.gr8conf.org/
Twitter : bill_turner - http://twitter.com/bill_turner
LinkedIn : wltiii - http://www.linkedin.com/in/wltiii
Phone : +1.612.276.2135

An innovative Software Development Professional, Bill Turner is the co-founder and Principal Organizer for GR8 in the US, a conference on Groovy, Grails, Griffon and related technologies. He has worked in companies from emerging startups to Fortune 500s, and has consulted and lived internationally. The majority of his 30 plus years in the software development industry has been spent as a consultant, with 75% of the business being repeat/referral business. He has collaborated closely with individuals at every level of the organization and has performed a wide variety of roles. He knows software development. He understands business. He helps companies succeed.

Re: eclipse plug-in breaks helios?

bill turner
I've tried re-installing (I used the snapshot this time, but the issues have all been the same). I found two jdt core jars in my plugins dir:

org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.6.1.v_A68_R36x.jar
org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.6.1.xx-20101116-0900-e36.jar

After reverting, the behavior does return to normal.

As it turned out, I did not have the opportunity to install a new eclipse. I'll attempt that later today barring other suggestions that seem more promising.

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 1:21 PM, bill turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Oh, and when I looked at the installed software, I see:

Groovy-Eclipse Feature (1.6.7 & 1.7.5, & JDT core patch)
Groovy-Eclipse JDT Patch Sources Feature
Groovy-Eclipse M2E integration
Groovy-Eclipse M2E integration (Source code)
Groovy-Eclipse Sources Feature