formatting ignoring java indent setting

Talkov, Roger
According to the greclipse 2.1.2 release notes it is supposed to use the java formatting, but it ignores the indent setting and indents with a tab.
Am I missing some setting or option or is this a bug ?

Roger Talkov
Senior Java Developer
UC4 Software, Inc.
14475 NE 24th St  Suite 210
Bellevue, WA  98005
USA
phone: (425) 633-2568

Re: formatting ignoring java indent setting

Kris De Volder
Hi Roger,

If you set Java settings to use space and Greclipse is using tabs then
indeed this is a bug. However, before submitting a bug
report please carefully double check whether the settings are indeed
set up correctly. In particular, make sure that you
check both project specific and global settings. The correct/expected
behavior is for project settings to override global settings.

If you find that the settings are indeed set correctly then please do
raise a bug report and try to include a precise scenario to
reproduce the exact circumstances and actions that cause the bug to
appear. I.e. include details of how your what both the
global and project specific settings are set to, and what type of
indent action you are performing (there are several functions
in the editor and menus that perform indentation actions, so be
precise about what keypresses or menu command you are
using.

The reason why we need this amount of detail is that is very possible
things only go wrong for a specific type of
actions with a specific combination of global and project specific settings.

Another thing you might want to check is whether perhaps it could be a
problem refreshing the settings after you change them.
Try closing and reopening the editor after changing the settings. If
that fixes the problem, it is still a bug, but one of
a different nature, so it would be interesting to know that.

Kris

PS: You can submit bug report here http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Talkov, Roger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> According to the greclipse 2.1.2 release notes it is supposed to use the
> java formatting, but it ignores the indent setting and indents with a tab.
> Am I missing some setting or option or is this a bug ?
>
> Roger Talkov
> Senior Java Developer
> UC4 Software, Inc.
> 14475 NE 24th St  Suite 210
> Bellevue, WA  98005
> USA
> phone: (425) 633-2568
>
> web: www.UC4.com
> mailto:[hidden email]

RE: formatting ignoring java indent setting

Talkov, Roger
Hi Kris,

I carefully checked my settings, I only had global settings.
And after some more experimenting, found that the problem only occurs when the tab policy is set to mixed, when it is set to spaces the indentation works correctly.
I changed settings back and forth many times and on different projects and in different eclipse instances and the behavior was always consistent.
I have created bug GRECLIPSE-1057 for this.