groovy-eclipse-batch compiler question

Nicko Cadell
Hi,

I'm trying to use the groovy-eclipse-batch compiler from ANT, i.e. not from within the eclipse IDE.
So far I think I'm making reasonable progress and seem to have got some groovy files to compile.

These are some of the questions I've been pondering:

Is there a GroovyCompilerAdapter class for ANT included in any of the binary artefacts? I couldn't find one and have had to build my own.

I'm currently using the groovy-eclipse-batch-2.1.3-01.jar. How can I work out which version of the eclipse Java JDT compiler is included in this artefact (and any like it)?

How can I control which version of the Groovy compiler is used by the batch compiler? There seems to be documentation on how to change this in the eclipse IDE but I haven't found anything on how to do it for the standalone batch compiler.

Many thanks,

Nicko

Re: groovy-eclipse-batch compiler question

Andrew Eisenberg
I got this working a long time ago, but I don't know if this is still
working.  Take a look at
org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.ant.GroovyCompilerAdapter.  This class was
originally meant for building Eclipse plugins that use groovy, but it
should also work outside of Eclipse.  It should be included in
groovy-eclipse-batch.  If you can't get this working, I can have a
deeper look.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Nicko Cadell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I'm trying to use the groovy-eclipse-batch compiler from ANT, i.e. not from
> within the eclipse IDE.
> So far I think I'm making reasonable progress and seem to have got some
> groovy files to compile.
>
> These are some of the questions I've been pondering:
>

> Is there a GroovyCompilerAdapter class for ANT included in any of the binary
> artefacts? I couldn't find one and have had to build my own.
>

> I'm currently using the groovy-eclipse-batch-2.1.3-01.jar. How can I work
> out which version of the eclipse Java JDT compiler is included in this
> artefact (and any like it)?
>

> How can I control which version of the Groovy compiler is used by the batch
> compiler? There seems to be documentation on how to change this in the
> eclipse IDE but I haven't found anything on how to do it for the standalone
> batch compiler.
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Nicko

Re: groovy-eclipse-batch compiler question

Nicko Cadell
Hi Andrew,

I'm have seen your code for the GroovyCompilerAdapter, but I don't think that it is actually included in the groovy-eclipse-batch-2.1.3-01.jar. I'm actually using a different implementation of GroovyCompilerAdapter based on some code I found you posted on a different forum. It looks like this:

public class GroovyCompilerAdapter extends JDTCompilerAdapter implements CompilerAdapterExtension
{
public String[] getSupportedFileExtensions()
{
return new String[]  { "java", "groovy" };

That seems to be all that is needed. But I'm not sure why the GroovyCompilerAdapter you wrote isn't in the jar.

Also any ideas on specifying which version of the groovy compiler the batch compiler is using? Basically I want to use the v2 compiler.

Many thanks,
Nicko

On 6 June 2013 23:53, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I got this working a long time ago, but I don't know if this is still
working.  Take a look at
org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.ant.GroovyCompilerAdapter.  This class was
originally meant for building Eclipse plugins that use groovy, but it
should also work outside of Eclipse.  It should be included in
groovy-eclipse-batch.  If you can't get this working, I can have a
deeper look.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Nicko Cadell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm trying to use the groovy-eclipse-batch compiler from ANT, i.e. not from
> within the eclipse IDE.
> So far I think I'm making reasonable progress and seem to have got some
> groovy files to compile.
>
> These are some of the questions I've been pondering:
>

> Is there a GroovyCompilerAdapter class for ANT included in any of the binary
> artefacts? I couldn't find one and have had to build my own.
>

> I'm currently using the groovy-eclipse-batch-2.1.3-01.jar. How can I work
> out which version of the eclipse Java JDT compiler is included in this
> artefact (and any like it)?
>

> How can I control which version of the Groovy compiler is used by the batch
> compiler? There seems to be documentation on how to change this in the
> eclipse IDE but I haven't found anything on how to do it for the standalone
> batch compiler.
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Nicko

Re: groovy-eclipse-batch compiler question

Andrew Eisenberg
Oh...I now see why the GroovyCompilerAdapter was not being copied
over.  It is in a different classpath from the rest of the plugin.
I'll add it so that future versions will have it.  But, it does make
sense that the compiler adapter that you are using would work outside
of Eclipse.

The version of the batch compiler corresponds to the version of
groovy.  Ie, groovy-eclipse-batch-2.1.3-01.jar is groovy 2.1.3.  And
groovy-eclipse-batch-2.0.7-01.jar is groovy 2.0.7.  I may put out a
groovy-eclipse-batch-2.1.3-02.jar with the extra GroovyCompilerAdapter
included.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Nicko Cadell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I'm have seen your code for the GroovyCompilerAdapter, but I don't think
> that it is actually included in the groovy-eclipse-batch-2.1.3-01.jar. I'm
> actually using a different implementation of GroovyCompilerAdapter based on
> some code I found you posted on a different forum. It looks like this:
>
> public class GroovyCompilerAdapter extends JDTCompilerAdapter implements
> CompilerAdapterExtension
> {
> public String[] getSupportedFileExtensions()
> {
> return new String[]  { "java", "groovy" };
> }
> }
>
> That seems to be all that is needed. But I'm not sure why the
> GroovyCompilerAdapter you wrote isn't in the jar.
>
> Also any ideas on specifying which version of the groovy compiler the batch
> compiler is using? Basically I want to use the v2 compiler.
>
> Many thanks,
> Nicko
>

> On 6 June 2013 23:53, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I got this working a long time ago, but I don't know if this is still
>> working.  Take a look at
>> org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.ant.GroovyCompilerAdapter.  This class was
>> originally meant for building Eclipse plugins that use groovy, but it
>> should also work outside of Eclipse.  It should be included in
>> groovy-eclipse-batch.  If you can't get this working, I can have a
>> deeper look.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Nicko Cadell <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >

>> > I'm trying to use the groovy-eclipse-batch compiler from ANT, i.e. not
>> > from
>> > within the eclipse IDE.
>> > So far I think I'm making reasonable progress and seem to have got some
>> > groovy files to compile.
>> >
>> > These are some of the questions I've been pondering:
>> >

>> > Is there a GroovyCompilerAdapter class for ANT included in any of the
>> > binary
>> > artefacts? I couldn't find one and have had to build my own.
>> >

>> > I'm currently using the groovy-eclipse-batch-2.1.3-01.jar. How can I
>> > work
>> > out which version of the eclipse Java JDT compiler is included in this
>> > artefact (and any like it)?
>> >

>> > How can I control which version of the Groovy compiler is used by the
>> > batch
>> > compiler? There seems to be documentation on how to change this in the
>> > eclipse IDE but I haven't found anything on how to do it for the
>> > standalone
>> > batch compiler.
>> >

>> > Many thanks,
>> >
>> > Nicko

Re: groovy-eclipse-batch compiler question

steve.ash
Or perhaps a groovy 2.1.4-01 with the compiler adapter? :)

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > These are some of the questions I've been pondering:
>> >

>> > Is there a GroovyCompilerAdapter class for ANT included in any of the
>> > binary
>> > artefacts? I couldn't find one and have had to build my own.
>> >

>> > I'm currently using the groovy-eclipse-batch-2.1.3-01.jar. How can I
>> > work
>> > out which version of the eclipse Java JDT compiler is included in this
>> > artefact (and any like it)?
>> >

>> > How can I control which version of the Groovy compiler is used by the
>> > batch
>> > compiler? There seems to be documentation on how to change this in the
>> > eclipse IDE but I haven't found anything on how to do it for the
>> > standalone
>> > batch compiler.
>> >

>> > Many thanks,
>> >
>> > Nicko

Re: groovy-eclipse-batch compiler question

Well, hopefully we will be able to get a 2.1.4 version out next week.