groovy-eclipse-compiler for Maven and Invoke Dynamic support

groovy-eclipse-compiler for Maven and Invoke Dynamic support

Marcin Zajączkowski
Hi,

I tried to compile (with groovy-eclipse-compiler and Maven) Groovy files with Invoke Dynamic support by changing a Groovy dependency to groovy-all-2.1.0-indy.jar, but browsing disassembled class shows that it doesn't work. Is it currently possible to compile using groovy-eclipse-compiler Groovy classes with Invoke Dynamic support?

Marcin

--
http://blog.solidsoft.info/ - Working code is not enough

Re: groovy-eclipse-compiler for Maven and Invoke Dynamic support

Andrew Eisenberg
It's not supported yet.  We still need to do some work to get indy
support working inside of the IDE.  Once that is available, then we
can port it to the maven compiler.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 3:46 AM, Marcin Zajączkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to compile (with groovy-eclipse-compiler and Maven) Groovy files with Invoke Dynamic support by changing a Groovy dependency to groovy-all-2.1.0-indy.jar, but browsing disassembled class shows that it doesn't work. Is it currently possible to compile using groovy-eclipse-compiler Groovy classes with Invoke Dynamic support?
>
> Marcin
>
> --
> http://blog.solidsoft.info/ - Working code is not enough

Re: groovy-eclipse-compiler for Maven and Invoke Dynamic support

Marcin Zajączkowski
Dnia Wtorek, 29 Stycznia 2013 19:28 Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> napisał(a)
> It's not supported yet.  We still need to do some work to get indy
> support working inside of the IDE.  Once that is available, then we
> can port it to the maven compiler.

Thanks for your reply. Is there an issue in JIRA which I could track to get know when this feature is implemented?

Marcin

--
http://blog.solidsoft.info/ - Working code is not enough

Re: groovy-eclipse-compiler for Maven and Invoke Dynamic support

Andrew Eisenberg
Here's the issue:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1582

We haven't put much effort into this feature yet since you are the
first one who has asked for it.

On 2013-01-30 18:16, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:
> Here's the issue:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1582

Thanks.

> We haven't put much effort into this feature yet since you are the
> first one who has asked for it.

I'm not very familiar with static compilation in Groovy and maybe I have
to much expectations. I have used it mostly to write tests with Spock
for my Java code. In the next project I would like to write also some
production classes in Groovy to make me and a team more familiar with
Groovy (groovy-eclipse-compiler makes bilateral relations easy to use by
compiling both Java and Groovy code).
As I read static compilation with Invoke Dynamic (besides a strict type
checking) gives a performance boost to Groovy code execution (like
Groovy++) which can be useful in production code, so I would be happy
seeing it in a Groovy-Eclipse (and a corresponding Maven plugin).

Btw, are there any known issues I can find on my way in a described
usage of Java and Groovy in a project?

Marcin

--
http://blog.solidsoft.info/ - Working code is not enough

Re: groovy-eclipse-compiler for Maven and Invoke Dynamic support

Andrew Eisenberg
One of the reasons that indy support is not more popular is that its
performance improvements are less than what were originally expected.
This is likely to change in the Java 8 vm as it should be able to take
more complete advantage of invoke dynamic.  So, for now at least, you
will get much better performance improvements by using CompileStatic
over invoke dynamic.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Marcin Zajączkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-01-30 18:16, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:
>> Here's the issue:
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1582
>
> Thanks.
>
>> We haven't put much effort into this feature yet since you are the
>> first one who has asked for it.
>
> I'm not very familiar with static compilation in Groovy and maybe I have
> to much expectations. I have used it mostly to write tests with Spock
> for my Java code. In the next project I would like to write also some
> production classes in Groovy to make me and a team more familiar with
> Groovy (groovy-eclipse-compiler makes bilateral relations easy to use by
> compiling both Java and Groovy code).
> As I read static compilation with Invoke Dynamic (besides a strict type
> checking) gives a performance boost to Groovy code execution (like
> Groovy++) which can be useful in production code, so I would be happy
> seeing it in a Groovy-Eclipse (and a corresponding Maven plugin).
>
> Btw, are there any known issues I can find on my way in a described
> usage of Java and Groovy in a project?
>
> Marcin
>

>> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 3:51 AM, Marcin Zajączkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dnia Wtorek, 29 Stycznia 2013 19:28 Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> napisał(a)
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply. Is there an issue in JIRA which I could track to get know when this feature is implemented?
>>>
>>> Marcin

> --
> http://blog.solidsoft.info/ - Working code is not enough

Re: groovy-eclipse-compiler for Maven and Invoke Dynamic support

kriegaex
Hi Andrew.

Anything new here? The link to the ticket does not get redirected from Codehaus to anywhere. Can I find it somewhere else? I did an uncuccessful web search.

Background: We want to use invokedynamic support via indy from GMavenPlus and additionally use the Eclipse compikler from IntelliJ IDEA because it is much faster and less problematic with recompilation compared to the standard Groovy compiler. In order for it to be in sync with what we do in Maven I would like to know if indy is now supported by Greclipse.

Thanks