groovy++ support

Stephen Haberman
Hi,

Apologies if I'm asking in the wrong place, but I was just curious if
the Eclipse groovy plugin does/will support groovy++?

There seems to be a big conceptual overlap between the plugin's
"IDE-time" type inference and groovy++'s compile-time type inference.

It seems like if something is going to do type inference, the IDE or
gpp, it might as well be gpp so that the resulting bytecode is closer
to Java.

(Admittedly, I'm a groovy newbie, and primarily intrigued due to
groovy++ coming on to the scene as a statically typed "better Java"
alternative. Also, I have no clue about the technical overlap between
the IDE/gpp type inference, and also understand the IDE is likely much
further along and can handle all sorts of dynamic cases where gpp can't
and IDE-time inference is still necessary.)

Thanks!

- Stephen

Re: groovy++ support

Andy Clement
Hi Stephen,

Support for groovy++ is covered by
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-826 - please vote on it if
you want groovy++ support in eclipse.  As far as I am aware, as soon
as the ast transforms that enable groovy++ are made into a simple jar,
they could be dropped into any groovy-eclipse project and we could
start testing what it means to have groovy++ in eclipse (and determine
overlap/problems with already existing inferencing mechanisms, if
any).  I've not yet heard if this jar is available yet - when I have
time I will actively try and find out.

cheers,
Andy

On 10 January 2011 09:46, Stephen Haberman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apologies if I'm asking in the wrong place, but I was just curious if
> the Eclipse groovy plugin does/will support groovy++?
>
> There seems to be a big conceptual overlap between the plugin's
> "IDE-time" type inference and groovy++'s compile-time type inference.
>
> It seems like if something is going to do type inference, the IDE or
> gpp, it might as well be gpp so that the resulting bytecode is closer
> to Java.
>
> (Admittedly, I'm a groovy newbie, and primarily intrigued due to
> groovy++ coming on to the scene as a statically typed "better Java"
> alternative. Also, I have no clue about the technical overlap between
> the IDE/gpp type inference, and also understand the IDE is likely much
> further along and can handle all sorts of dynamic cases where gpp can't
> and IDE-time inference is still necessary.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Stephen

Re: groovy++ support

Stephen Haberman

> Support for groovy++ is covered by
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-826 - please vote on it if
> you want groovy++ support in eclipse.

Sweet, voted. Thanks for the quick reply.

- Stephen