installing in buckminster

Vlad Dumitrescu
Hi!

I'm trying to install the groovy support in buckminster and I get the
following error

$ ./buckminster install
http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e3.6/
org.codehaus.groovy.headless.feature
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could
not be found.
[0]Software being installed: Groovy-Eclipse Headless Feature
2.5.1.xx-20110627-1300-e36
(org.codehaus.groovy.headless.feature.feature.group
2.5.1.xx-20110627-1300-e36)
[0]Missing requirement: JDT Core patch for Groovy-Eclipse plugin
2.5.1.xx-20110627-1300-e36
(org.codehaus.groovy.jdt.patch.feature.group
2.5.1.xx-20110627-1300-e36) requires 'org.eclipse.jdt.feature.group
[3.6.0,3.7.0)' but it could not be found
[0]Cannot satisfy dependency:
[0.2]From: Groovy-Eclipse Headless Feature 2.5.1.xx-20110627-1300-e36
(org.codehaus.groovy.headless.feature.feature.group
2.5.1.xx-20110627-1300-e36)
[0.2]To: org.codehaus.groovy.jdt.patch.feature.group
[2.5.1.xx-20110627-1300-e36]

I have

buckminster36/plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.junit.core_3.6.0.v20100526-0800.jar
buckminster36/plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.6.0.v_A58.jar

which should be ok -- but buckminster doesn't have the JDT feature
installed, maybe that's the problem?

I hope that someone who uses this can give a quick answer. Should I
install the full jdt feature in buckminster, or is there something
else going on?

Thanks in advance!
best regards,
Vlad

Re: installing in buckminster

Andrew Eisenberg
I am not an expert in Buckminster, but it does seem like you need to
have the JDT feature installed.  However, since the JDT feature has
some UI pieces to it, this may cause some trouble with Buckminster.
If this is the case, then there may be some things that we can do on
our end where we can rearrange the dependencies to make this work.
Please let me know if this works for you, otherwise we can dig further
into this issue.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 17:58, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am not an expert in Buckminster, but it does seem like you need to
> have the JDT feature installed.  However, since the JDT feature has
> some UI pieces to it, this may cause some trouble with Buckminster.
> If this is the case, then there may be some things that we can do on
> our end where we can rearrange the dependencies to make this work.
> Please let me know if this works for you, otherwise we can dig further
> into this issue.

Thanks, it worked. I mean, I installed the jdt and groovy.headless
features. But when building my projects, the groovy files are still
being copied as such to the 'bin' directory, instead of getting
compiled. I'll have to dig further...

regards,
Vlad

Re: installing in buckminster

Andrew Eisenberg
I'm guessing that the jdt core patch was not applied.  Instead of
installing org.eclipse.jdt.core from eclipse.org, you should be
installing that bundle from our update site.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 22:48, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm guessing that the jdt core patch was not applied.  Instead of
> installing org.eclipse.jdt.core from eclipse.org, you should be
> installing that bundle from our update site.

I think that the patch is installed ok. I suppose buckminster wouldn't
had listed it as installed if it wasn't.

$ buckminster/buckminster listsite
Features:
  org.codehaus.groovy.headless.feature (%featureName)
  org.codehaus.groovy.jdt.patch (%featureName)
  org.codehaus.groovy17.feature (%featureName)
  org.codehaus.groovy18.feature (%featureName)
  org.eclipse.buckminster.core.headless.feature (%featureName)
  org.eclipse.buckminster.emma.headless.feature (%featureName)
  org.eclipse.buckminster.git.headless.feature (%featureName)
  org.eclipse.buckminster.pde.headless.feature (%featureName)
  org.eclipse.buckminster.product (Buckminster Product)
  org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director.feature (%featureName)
  org.eclipse.equinox.p2.user.ui (%featureName)
  org.eclipse.help (%featureName)
  org.eclipse.jdt (%featureName)
  org.eclipse.platform (%featureName)
  org.eclipse.rcp (%featureName)
  org.erlide.headless (Erlide core (headless))

The other possibility may be that buckminster's use of the jdt
compiler is in such a way that it ignores the groovy patch. But then
everybody would see the same problem...

I thought about asking on the buckminster list, but I have a feeling
that it would be you who'd answer anyway :-) I wish there was a way to
trace what happens when buckminster builds - which builders get
executed and in which order.

regards,
Vlad

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Vlad Dumitrescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 17:58, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am not an expert in Buckminster, but it does seem like you need to
>>> have the JDT feature installed.  However, since the JDT feature has
>>> some UI pieces to it, this may cause some trouble with Buckminster.
>>> If this is the case, then there may be some things that we can do on
>>> our end where we can rearrange the dependencies to make this work.
>>> Please let me know if this works for you, otherwise we can dig further
>>> into this issue.
>>
>> Thanks, it worked. I mean, I installed the jdt and groovy.headless
>> features. But when building my projects, the groovy files are still
>> being copied as such to the 'bin' directory, instead of getting
>> compiled. I'll have to dig further...
>>
>> regards,
>> Vlad

Re: installing in buckminster

Andrew Eisenberg
It must be that Buckminster is failing to apply the groovy patch, as
you suggest.  This does point to there being a problem with
buckminster.

Yes, it is possible to debug this through Eclipse, but it is not for
the feint of heart.  Here is what you need to do (I'm only giessing at
some of these steps since i have never actually used buckminster).

1. In your Eclipse, set up a new Target Environment that points to
your installation of Buckminster.
2. Add all of the extra features to the target environment as well
3. Create a new Eclipse application launch configuration
4. In the main tab, choose the appropriate application or product that
corresponds to buckminster (probably an application)
5. Launch

It is possible to set breakpoints in buckminster code, but you will
need the source for this to work.  If you have the source plugins of
buckminster/groovyeclipse/jdt installed somewhere, you can do File ->
Import... -> Plugin Development -> Plugins and Fragments -> and follow
the steps to what you want to import.

Hope this can help a little.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 22:48, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm guessing that the jdt core patch was not applied.  Instead of
>> installing org.eclipse.jdt.core from eclipse.org, you should be
>> installing that bundle from our update site.
>
> I think that the patch is installed ok. I suppose buckminster wouldn't
> had listed it as installed if it wasn't.
>
> $ buckminster/buckminster listsite
> Features:
>  org.codehaus.groovy.headless.feature (%featureName)
>  org.codehaus.groovy.jdt.patch (%featureName)
>  org.codehaus.groovy17.feature (%featureName)
>  org.codehaus.groovy18.feature (%featureName)
>  org.eclipse.buckminster.core.headless.feature (%featureName)
>  org.eclipse.buckminster.emma.headless.feature (%featureName)
>  org.eclipse.buckminster.git.headless.feature (%featureName)
>  org.eclipse.buckminster.pde.headless.feature (%featureName)
>  org.eclipse.buckminster.product (Buckminster Product)
>  org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director.feature (%featureName)
>  org.eclipse.equinox.p2.user.ui (%featureName)
>  org.eclipse.help (%featureName)
>  org.eclipse.jdt (%featureName)
>  org.eclipse.platform (%featureName)
>  org.eclipse.rcp (%featureName)
>  org.erlide.headless (Erlide core (headless))
>
> The other possibility may be that buckminster's use of the jdt
> compiler is in such a way that it ignores the groovy patch. But then
> everybody would see the same problem...
>
> I thought about asking on the buckminster list, but I have a feeling
> that it would be you who'd answer anyway :-) I wish there was a way to
> trace what happens when buckminster builds - which builders get
> executed and in which order.
>
> regards,
> Vlad
>
>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Vlad Dumitrescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Thanks, it worked. I mean, I installed the jdt and groovy.headless
>>> features. But when building my projects, the groovy files are still
>>> being copied as such to the 'bin' directory, instead of getting
>>> compiled. I'll have to dig further...
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Vlad

Re: installing in buckminster