other problem wrt code completion

Jayet, Patrick
Hi all,

Sorry to flood you with code completion-related issue. ;) I have noticed something else, that has been slightly bothering me with respect to code completion: the fact that in some case it does not work properly (no relevant proposal except the standard one gets shown). I was not able to reproduce it until today (at least I have now one case where the problem happens).

If I have the following snippet:

  String str = "hello"
  str.// ctrl + space

at this point I get correctly all String-related methods (and others). Now if I do the same thing from within a method call (between brackets):

  String str = "hello"
  println(str./* ctrl + space */ )

I won't get the String related methods, only the ones coming from Object and the default Groovy ones. Apparently the brackets play an important role. If I write the same code without them, I get the string proposals.

It appears that if I begin typing a method name before pressing ctrl + space, then I get relevant proposals. But not otherwise. Of course the problem described here happens for any class, not just String.

@Andrew:
Do you have an idea what is happening here?

Cheers!
Patrick

Installation details: Greclipse 2.1.2.

Re: other problem wrt code completion

Andrew Eisenberg
This is a parser recovery problem.  I'll raise a bug for this, too.
We have a set of parser recovery tasks to do.  Andy Clement has been
working on a bunch of them and this should help things significantly
in the 2.5.1 release.

I raised http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1064 for this
particular issue.

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Jayet, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry to flood you with code completion-related issue. ;) I have noticed something else, that has been slightly bothering me with respect to code completion: the fact that in some case it does not work properly (no relevant proposal except the standard one gets shown). I was not able to reproduce it until today (at least I have now one case where the problem happens).
>
> If I have the following snippet:
>
>  String str = "hello"
>  str.// ctrl + space
>
> at this point I get correctly all String-related methods (and others). Now if I do the same thing from within a method call (between brackets):
>
>  String str = "hello"
>  println(str./* ctrl + space */ )
>
> I won't get the String related methods, only the ones coming from Object and the default Groovy ones. Apparently the brackets play an important role. If I write the same code without them, I get the string proposals.
>
> It appears that if I begin typing a method name before pressing ctrl + space, then I get relevant proposals. But not otherwise. Of course the problem described here happens for any class, not just String.
>
> @Andrew:
> Do you have an idea what is happening here?
>
> Cheers!
> Patrick
>
> Installation details: Greclipse 2.1.2.

RE: other problem wrt code completion

Jayet, Patrick
Hi Andrew,

Thanks about raising these two issues regarding code completion. We'll get to a pretty stable implementation with these two bugs fixed.

Cheers,
P.

This is a parser recovery problem.  I'll raise a bug for this, too.
We have a set of parser recovery tasks to do.  Andy Clement has been working on a bunch of them and this should help things significantly in the 2.5.1 release.

I raised http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-1064 for this particular issue.

AW: [groovy-eclipse-plugin-user] other problem wrt code completion

Jayet, Patrick
Hi all,

Any plans about fixing GRECLIPSE-1064 for 2.5.1? It would be excellent. I think it is currently the most annoying problem for users of our DSL with respect to an effective use of the code completion mechanism.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Patrick

Re: other problem wrt code completion

Andy Clement
I'll see if I can fit it in.

Andy

On 1 June 2011 04:04, Jayet, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Any plans about fixing GRECLIPSE-1064 for 2.5.1? It would be excellent. I think it is currently the most annoying problem for users of our DSL with respect to an effective use of the code completion mechanism.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Cheers,
>
> Patrick

Re: other problem wrt code completion

Andy Clement
There is no problem for me on 1.8, I presume you are using 1.7?  Do
you plan to move to 1.8 anytime soon?

Andy

On 1 June 2011 08:31, Andy Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll see if I can fit it in.
>
> Andy
>
> On 1 June 2011 04:04, Jayet, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Any plans about fixing GRECLIPSE-1064 for 2.5.1? It would be excellent. I think it is currently the most annoying problem for users of our DSL with respect to an effective use of the code completion mechanism.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Patrick

AW: [groovy-eclipse-plugin-user] other problem wrt code completion

Jayet, Patrick
Hi Andy,

Yes, you are right. Working fine on 2.5.0 with Groovy 1.8. Great thing to hear! It's OK then, we'll switch to Groovy 1.8 (now that it is stable).

Thanks for checking.
Cheers!

Patrick