p2 repositories not available

René Scheibe-2
Hi,

retrieving artefacts from the p2 repositories fails.

With Maven:
[WARNING] Failed to access p2 repository http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2, use local cache. Neither http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2/content.jar nor http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2/content.xml found.

With Eclipse:
INFO: I/O exception (org.apache.commons.httpclient.NoHttpResponseException) caught when processing request: The server dist.springsource.com failed to respond

Can you please have a look?

René

Re: p2 repositories not available

Kris De Volder
Hi Rene, is this still a problem for you? I pasted the update site into Eclipse install dialog and it works fine.

It is worth mentioning that with the latest release (2.9.0) this site is not a real update site anymore but rather a
composite update site that points to the latest release.
So there is indeed no content.jar and content.xml file there (compiste update sites have a different structure).

If what you are using to read the update site is tycho then it should be capable of dealing with composite update sites as these are also valid p2 repositories.

If you are using something that explicitly looks for content.xml and content.jar then it won't work.

As a workaround you can use the site this composite site currently points at. I.e see the urls of release update sites at the bottom of

Kris

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 9:38 AM, René Scheibe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

retrieving artefacts from the p2 repositories fails.

With Maven:
[WARNING] Failed to access p2 repository http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2, use local cache. Neither http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2/content.jar nor http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2/content.xml found.

With Eclipse:
INFO: I/O exception (org.apache.commons.httpclient.NoHttpResponseException) caught when processing request: The server dist.springsource.com failed to respond

Can you please have a look?

René

Re: p2 repositories not available

René Scheibe-2
Hi Kris,

thanks for the info.

When trying http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/2.9.0/e4.3 instead of
http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.3 Maven kann resolve the dependencies again.

I am not very familiar with update site details. Could you have short look at the pom.xml file (https://github.com/darxriggs/codenarc-eclipse/blob/master/pom.xml) and tell me if there is something wrong? As composite update sites are an Eclipse feature I guess, Maven cannot handle them. Is there anything I can do about it? Or Tycho?

René

On 08/05/2014 05:18 PM, Kris De Volder wrote:

> Hi Rene, is this still a problem for you? I pasted the update site into
> Eclipse install dialog and it works fine.
>
> It is worth mentioning that with the latest release (2.9.0) this site is
> not a real update site anymore but rather a
> composite update site that points to the latest release.
> So there is indeed no content.jar and content.xml file there (compiste
> update sites have a different structure).
>
> If what you are using to read the update site is tycho then it should be
> capable of dealing with composite update sites as these are also valid
> p2 repositories.
>
> If you are using something that explicitly looks for content.xml and
> content.jar then it won't work.
>
> As a workaround you can use the site this composite site currently
> points at. I.e see the urls of release update sites at the bottom of
> this page:
>
> https://github.com/groovy/groovy-eclipse/wiki/Groovy-Eclipse-2.9.0-Release-Notes
>

> Kris
>

> On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 9:38 AM, René Scheibe <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     retrieving artefacts from the p2 repositories fails.
>
>     With Maven:
>     [WARNING] Failed to access p2 repository
>     http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2, use local
>     cache. Neither
>     http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2/content.jar nor
>     http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2/content.xml found.
>
>     With Eclipse:
>     INFO: I/O exception
>     (org.apache.commons.httpclient.NoHttpResponseException) caught when
>     processing request: The server dist.springsource.com
>     <http://dist.springsource.com> failed to respond
>
>     Can you please have a look?
>
>     René

>         http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: p2 repositories not available

Kris De Volder
I don't see anything obviously wrong with the pom. I would have expected that tycho is able to handle composite update sites just fine. They are valid p2 repositories (i.e. '<layout>p2</layout> should work).

So I don't really know why the composite site isn't working for you.

I can only think of two possible explanations, either:
  1) tycho is less capable than I thought
  2) there is some subtle problem with our composite update site.

I'll do a little investigation if its 2) then there may be something I can do to fix it.

Kris

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:37 PM, René Scheibe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kris,

thanks for the info.

When trying http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/2.9.0/e4.3 instead of
http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.3 Maven kann resolve the dependencies again.

I am not very familiar with update site details. Could you have short look at the pom.xml file (https://github.com/darxriggs/codenarc-eclipse/blob/master/pom.xml) and tell me if there is something wrong? As composite update sites are an Eclipse feature I guess, Maven cannot handle them. Is there anything I can do about it? Or Tycho?

René

On 08/05/2014 05:18 PM, Kris De Volder wrote:
> Hi Rene, is this still a problem for you? I pasted the update site into
> Eclipse install dialog and it works fine.
>
> It is worth mentioning that with the latest release (2.9.0) this site is
> not a real update site anymore but rather a
> composite update site that points to the latest release.
> So there is indeed no content.jar and content.xml file there (compiste
> update sites have a different structure).
>
> If what you are using to read the update site is tycho then it should be
> capable of dealing with composite update sites as these are also valid
> p2 repositories.
>
> If you are using something that explicitly looks for content.xml and
> content.jar then it won't work.
>
> As a workaround you can use the site this composite site currently
> points at. I.e see the urls of release update sites at the bottom of
> this page:
>
> https://github.com/groovy/groovy-eclipse/wiki/Groovy-Eclipse-2.9.0-Release-Notes
>

> Kris
>

> On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 9:38 AM, René Scheibe <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     retrieving artefacts from the p2 repositories fails.
>
>     With Maven:
>     [WARNING] Failed to access p2 repository
>     http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2, use local
>     cache. Neither
>     http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2/content.jar nor
>     http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2/content.xml found.
>
>     With Eclipse:
>     INFO: I/O exception
>     (org.apache.commons.httpclient.NoHttpResponseException) caught when
>     processing request: The server dist.springsource.com
>     <http://dist.springsource.com> failed to respond
>
>     Can you please have a look?
>
>     René

>         http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: p2 repositories not available

Kris De Volder
Well. I just tried using the composite update site from tycho and it is working for me.

Maybe try a more recent version of tycho.

For reference, I'm pasting very simple pom I tried it with.
Using this pom tycho was able to resolve plugin dependencies on some
org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse bundles without issue.

--- pom contents below ----

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <artifactId>foo</artifactId>
    <groupId>fooGrooup</groupId>
    <packaging>eclipse-plugin</packaging>
    <version>1.0.0.qualifier</version>

    <properties>
        <tycho-version>0.21.0</tycho-version>
    </properties>

    <repositories>
        <repository>
            <id>eclipse-44</id>
            <layout>p2</layout>
            <url>http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.4</url>
        </repository>
        <repository>
            <id>greclipse-44</id>
            <layout>p2</layout>
            <url>http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.4</url>
        </repository>
    </repositories>

    <build>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.eclipse.tycho</groupId>
                <artifactId>tycho-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>${tycho-version}</version>
                <extensions>true</extensions>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </build>

</project>

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Kris De Volder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> this page:
>
> https://github.com/groovy/groovy-eclipse/wiki/Groovy-Eclipse-2.9.0-Release-Notes
>

> Kris
>

> On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 9:38 AM, René Scheibe <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     retrieving artefacts from the p2 repositories fails.
>
>     With Maven:
>     [WARNING] Failed to access p2 repository
>     http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2, use local
>     cache. Neither
>     http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2/content.jar nor
>     http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e4.2/content.xml found.
>
>     With Eclipse:
>     INFO: I/O exception
>     (org.apache.commons.httpclient.NoHttpResponseException) caught when
>     processing request: The server dist.springsource.com

For my project the Groovy compiler is defined as dependency in the maven
plugin, so I can compile Groovy classes. That's how it is outlined in
[1]. So it is Maven that has to resolve that dependency not Tycho. This
does not seem to work with composite sites.

[1] http://groovy.codehaus.org/Groovy-Eclipse+compiler+plugin+for+Maven

Regards
René

On 08/07/2014 05:44 PM, Kris De Volder wrote:

> Well. I just tried using the composite update site from tycho and it is
> working for me.
>
> Maybe try a more recent version of tycho.
>
> For reference, I'm pasting very simple pom I tried it with.
> Using this pom tycho was able to resolve plugin dependencies on some
> org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse bundles without issue.

I fixed it.

I had to delete the ~/.m2/.cache directory.

Now I am seeing the below and the dependencies are resolved correctly.

[INFO] Adding repository http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e3.7
[INFO] Fetching compositeContent.xml from http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/e3.7/ (0B of 455B at 0B/s)
[INFO] Fetching content.jar from http://dist.springsource.org/release/GRECLIPSE/2.9.0/e3.7/ (0B of 18.33kB at 0B/s)
[INFO] Resolving dependencies of MavenProject: org.codenarc.eclipse:org.codenarc.eclipse.plugin:0.20.0-SNAPSHOT @ /home/scheibchen/workspaces/workspace-codenarc/codenarc-eclipse/plugin/pom.xml

René

On 08/07/2014 05:44 PM, Kris De Volder wrote:

> Well. I just tried using the composite update site from tycho and it is
> working for me.
>
> Maybe try a more recent version of tycho.
>
> For reference, I'm pasting very simple pom I tried it with.
> Using this pom tycho was able to resolve plugin dependencies on some
> org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse bundles without issue.

Good to know you got it working. A little extra information that may be useful.

Don't confuse the maven artifacts like groovy-eclipse-compiler and groovy-eclipse-batch which are used to allow you to compile groovy code using maven with the stuff that is available from the p2 update sites.

The p2 update sites contain eclipse features and plugins, these are used when you build eclipse stuff (i.e. plugins, features etc) that depend on groovy-eclipse as a dependency, but they are not used to compile groovy during maven compilation.

THe groovy-eclipse-compiler and groovy-eclipse-batch artifacts are not coming from these update sites but they are coming from maven central instead.

See: <a href="http://search.maven.org/#search|ga|1|groovy-eclipse">http://search.maven.org/#search|ga|1|groovy-eclipse

It seems to me in your build you are both using the maven artifacts to compile some groovy code inside your plugins, as well as depending on the contents of the p2 update sites so that you can build things that allows your users in eclipse to compile groovy code.

Just thought I'd clarify that these two things are not the same.

Kris